xii. a maid's silence

May 8, 1512

Sneaking poison into the palace proved to be much harder than I thought. Elizabeth decided we should involve Chloe, but no one else. I hesitantly agreed, but only because she was loyal.

"Anna will need a very public alibi," Chloe pointed out, "Preferably one provided by people who don't like her, and would be quick to place the blame on her."

"There are people who don't like Anna?" Elizabeth asked.

Her comment made me laugh. "You seem way too happy about that, Lizzie."

Elizabeth didn't respond to me, she dove right into our plan.

"You remember John Thornton, don't you?" she asked me.

"Of course. He's the man who Beatrice wanted to marry. But what does he have to do with acquiring some poison?" I answered.

Elizabeth sighed. "I've stayed in touch with him over the years, and I wrote to him asking if he could get us something undetectable. He said he can, but bringing it to court would be much too obvious."

"So, how will we get it here?" I asked.

"Chloe," my sister said, "Anna, tomorrow you'll send her to that one fabric shop you really like, and she'll pick up the poison from John on her way back. Then, Chloe will bring the fabrics and poison in here, but she'll leave the poison in this container." She motioned to the small canister in front of her. "When the fabrics arrive, Anna and I will come here to look at them, and I will take the poison with me to Scotland. I'll handle the rest, and no one will suspect a thing."

I nodded. It seemed like a legitimate plan, one that could work. Deep down, I knew what I was doing was wrong, but I felt the urge to free Elizabeth of her husband. If anyone suspected anything, we could blame it on his age.

"Alright. Let's do it," I said.

__

May 15, 1512

Chloe left around noon. Each second that passed, I made sure I was out and about, roaming the palace and talking with people. Elizabeth did the same, and we both tried to hide our nerves. To calm myself, I decided to play a very public game of cards.

"When did you get so good at cards?" Elizabeth was shocked at how good I'd gotten over time.

I smiled. "Well, Henry's really good, and it's very fun to beat the king at cards."

"How much longer until the baby is born?"

"Only two months," I answered, "Can you believe you're going to be the aunt of the prince or princess?"

"Sometimes I forget my sister is the queen of England," she admitted. She placed the last of her cards down. "But, I just beat the queen at cards, and I won't forget that."

Just as I was about to assume she cheated, Chloe walked over to us frantically. She curtsied quickly to me, obviously worried.

"Your Majesty, Lady Aitkens" she said, talking loud enough for the people around us to hear, "Your new fabrics have arrived."

 The three of us walked back to my chambers, trying to not look too suspicious. When we arrived, I saw a maid holding the canister of poison, looking inside. She looked up at me, shocked, and nearly dropped it. Elizabeth quickly grabbed it from her, holding it tightly.

"I've never seen you before," I said, examining her. She was obviously a maid based on her attire, but she seemed pretty enough. Her porcelain skin was contrasted by her hair, which was shiny and dark. Her blue eyes were so bright that I could see them clearly from across the room. She was definitely younger than me, that was obvious. If it wasn't for the uniform, I would've assumed she was a young noble lady. "Who are you?" I pressed.

She hesitated. "My name is Isabell Alcar, Your Majesty. I am a maid, and I was told I'd be replacing a maid of yours who recently passed away."

I nodded. "Can you tell me what you saw in that canister?" I asked her, stepping a bit closer.

"I... I think it was poison, Your Majesty. But why would your lady bring poison in with your new fabrics?" She answered.

"Sit down, Isabell. I need to talk with you about how to move forward with this... mishap," I told her, leading her to a small table in the corner of my room. Chloe and Elizabeth left hesitantly, but Elizabeth took the canister with her.

"You can not tell anyone about what you've seen. What can I do to keep you from telling people what you have witnessed?" I started.

She thought for a moment, then a small smile crept onto her face. "Well, my family has worked for the Crown for generations, and we've never been able to rise above our station. If you can get me a title, or something equivalent, I'll keep your secret. Recognition in exchange for my silence."

I thought about it for a moment. It seemed fair enough. Her family was clearly devoted to us, so it couldn't hurt to recognize that devotion. It seemed simple enough. If I could get her a title, she'd keep my secret. A secret that my life and crown depended upon. 

"Are you interested in marriage? I could arrange a marriage between you and a young nobleman," I offered.

"No. I'm only sixteen. I don't want to get married yet."

"Well, I was only seventeen when I got married!" I argued.

"Well, do you want to keep your marriage intact?" Isabell retorted.

"Yes, but..."

"Then I suggest you find another way to raise my station."

I sighed. "I'll convince Henry to make you a lady, and then I'll employ you as one of my ladies in waiting. Amy is getting married, so I need a replacement. I also need to keep an eye on you, and make sure you uphold your end of our deal."

__

July 18, 1512

It had been one month since Chloe, Elizabeth and I acquired some poison to secretly free Elizabeth from her husband. Every day, I eagerly waited for her letter. At the same time, each day was one closer to the birth of the baby. Isabell proved to be a very efficient lady in waiting, and a good friend, but there was something peculiar about the way she behaved whenever Henry was near or we discussed the baby.

After weeks of waiting, Elizabeth's letter arrived.

"Dear Anna,

Unfortunately, my husband passed away a few nights ago. I plan on returning to court. If you have any obligations, send a letter back. If not, I assume it is safe for me to return. I am eager to see you.

Your loving sister,

Elizabeth."

I smiled, satisfied with the outcome. No one suspected anything yet, and I planned to keep it that way.

That same night, I went into labor.

________

published august 13, 2020