xiii. firstborn

July 19, 1512

For seven hours, all I felt was pain. It was a kind of pain I'd never felt. It was different than having your heart broken, or being let down by someone you love. It was just pain, and it hurt just as much.

"You're almost there, Majesty," Sarah encouraged.

The room was filled with exhausted people doing various things. Isabell was constantly changing the towels I was using. The wet nurse prepared to feed the baby, because I wasn't allowed to. I couldn't acknowledge half of the activity in the room. Everyone was talking over each other, and between encouraging me and scolding each other, it was hard to hear anything.

Suddenly, the noise in the room changed drastically. The room got very quiet, but the silence was interrupted by the sharp screams of a newborn baby.

I watched in anticipation as the baby was cleaned and wrapped in a spare towel. Sarah brought the newborn to me, and I happily took the baby from her arms.

"Congratulations, Your Majesty," Sarah said, "You have delivered a healthy baby girl."

__

Henry came in shortly after the baby was fed and given back to me. The room cleared out, and it was just me and my newborn daughter sitting on a bed together.

My heart felt confused when I saw Henry. Part of me was elated that we had a child, but part of me was disappointed I hadn't given him the son I promised.

Henry came to the bed, sitting beside me. "Is it really a girl?" he asked.

"Yes," I replied happily, "Her name is Katherine."

"Like your mother?"

"Yes."

He observed the little girl for a moment. Even though she was a baby, I could already see myself in her. Her head was filled with tufts of dark hair, and her eyes were dark, as well. She smiled up at us, her cheeks rosy.

"Can I hold her?" Henry asked.

"Of course."

Carefully, I placed Katherine in his arms. I watched as his eyes met hers. Something seemed to change. It was as if he didn't mind I'd given him a daughter. He planted a gentle kiss and whispered something to her.

"England has a princess," he announced, "And, there must be celebrations to follow. There'll be a christening, a formal naming ceremony, a ball to celebrate her, and perhaps a parade, even. Though, you should probably stay in the carriage."

I laughed softly, relieved. He seemed surprisingly pleased with his daughter.

"I wish I could stay all day, but I have things to do. I'll come back tonight to see you two again," he promised.

He returned the baby girl to me, and hesitated to leave. He kissed my forehead once before getting up, and headed for the door.

"Henry, wait!" I called out.

He turned around to face me. "Yes?"

"I'm sorry it's not a son."

His face changed from a hopeful smile to a disappointed frown. "We're young. Sons will follow," he assured me before leaving the room. 

__

July 30, 1512

There were many things done to celebrate Katherine's birth. Parties, parades, everything imaginable. Elizabeth helped me pick out the ladies who would be part of Katherine's household, specifically her ladies.

"Are these the ladies we're choosing?" Elizabeth asked.

"Read me their names."

"Margery Rosewood, Agnes Gerville, Rose Talbot, and Katherine Atkinson."

"Those are correct. Write to them saying they are the temporary ladies in waiting for Princess Katherine. Once she is a bit older, they will be replaced with girls her own age," I instructed.

I left the room, and on my way to see my daughter, I spotted Isabell Alcar, who I'd slowly become friends with.

"Isabell!" I called to her, "Come walk with me."

"Where is your daughter?" she asked, walking beside me.

Since becoming a lady, Isabell blossomed into a fine young lady. Her mother could hardly believe they were rising in station. No one knew the real reason, of course. My family and I would be ruined if anyone found out. 

"She's with Henry right now. He regretted not spending as much time as possible with her these last few days, so he has her now," I explained.

"Oh," she said, almost disappointed. "You know, I've lived at the palace my whole life. I remember when Henry was young. I couldn't talk to him, of course, but whenever he was at court, I'd usually see him."

"Really? That's so... fascinating."

 She smiled at me condescending. Suddenly, it occurred to me that Isabell and I weren't the friends I thought we were. I may have raised her up in the world, but she wanted more. And her definition of 'more' included my husband.

I needed to keep Henry close. My marriage and my crown depended on it.

_______

published august 14, 2020

a/n: this chapter is eventful and also uneventful and idk if i like it or not. what are your opinions on the characters at this point? i really wanna know how you guys feel about henry at the moment, and also isabell.