two

Baby, you know I just wanna leave tonight,we can go anywhere we want.
- Halsey

Reese

12 February 2017 - New York City

"Thank you very much," I cheekily smiled to the receptionist at the airport.After much thinking yesterday, I opted to go and check up on River. I wasn't really confident with my capabilities of helping people but at least, I would be trying.Despite everything River made me go through, he also helped me in my darkest times-the time when I tried to overdose during my young teenage years.

Sliding my phone in between my palms, I accepted the incoming call from my mother.She was the one who was supposed to be picking me up and she was already late.I was expecting more of a warm welcome - my mom and my sister, Kate, running towards me, eyes full of tears but the only treatment I was receiving is an airport alley full of unknown tourists,mostly with an distasteful sense of style.

"Sweetie, we're stuck in traffic. I hope you can wait?" she asked, guilt lacing in her voice.

"... Of course."

"Thanks sweetheart." She said before hanging up.

What a pleasent way to start my morning.

I had to wake up at 4 a.m, barely having time to take a sip out of my hot coffee.

"Miss, you can take a seat," a young lady offered and I thanked her. I was too busy in my thoughts that I forgot that I was ridiculously standing in the middle of the crowded area. Plugging my earphones, I put my favorite song on play.The music dancing in my ears gave me recomfort and peace somehow.

My mom finally arrived an hour later, may I add. I received the hugs and tears but my mood was too low to return the favor.

Can't blame me.

"So,now that you're back, what activities have you planned?" Kate asked while unwrapping the small gift I brought for her. It was an unused Louis Vuiton purse that I bought a few months earlier.

"I have some important things to sort out, Kate but I'll try my best," I replied with a recomforting smile. The only goals I had in my mind were River,
River and only River. 

"Do you want to drop by a Coffeeshop on our way back or do you want to go home instead?" Mom inquired.

"I'm exhausted, so let's go home." I was drained and also hungry but I did not have enough strength, so I chose to go home.

We made it home and the familiar scent of homemade biscuits filled the living room. The old red leather couch was replaced by a white one, rugs were added and simple decorations were implemented to complete the minimalistic and semi-boring look.

"Home sweet home," I mumbled to myself as I removed out a pair of well-folded leggings and a tank top from my suitcase.My room hadn't changed at all - the stern beige paint still on the wall, my movie posters still stuck throughout my room and my pictures with River still intact. I haven't been back home in a couple of years now since I was allowed to come only twice to Texas.

After a hot shower, I grabbed some frozen yogurt from the fridge and headed to my room and the more the minutes were passing, the heavier my eyes were growing. Putting the yogurt bowl aside, I drifted to sleep, tucked warmly under my bed sheet.

_________

"So, Sam invited us over tomorrow evening for dinner. I hope you don't mind... with River being there?" Mom hesitantly asked and I remembered that she didn't know the truth of my comeback to Texas.

I was still tired even though I woke up half an hour ago.Jetlag issues. I quickly gulped my cereal, almost causing me to strangle myself.

But I couldn't die right now

Placing the white stained dishes in the dishwasher, I headed to my room to get dressed properly. I opened my suitcase, picking out a pair of washed denim and an oversized shirt,paired with my regular Air Forces.

As I was walking down the alleys of Houston, a wave of memories flashed in my mind - the times I'd walk with my now deceased dad, the times River  would help me to sneak out of my house....Everything that was alive back then is dead now.

As I was deep in my thoughts, I bumped into someone's muscled chest and my hands immediately went up to my forehead to check if I was not bleeding - I mean, the guy is well-built.

"Watch your way!" I shivered when I heard that voice. That so familiar yet unfamiliar voice.

"River..." I mumbled, refusing to look at him.

"I've got to g-"

"You won't go this time River.You won't," I muttered, this time, our gaze meeting.His hazel eyes were still as deep as ever - always getting me lost.

"I need to go. Move," he growled, attempting to slightly push me away but I grabbed his arms tightly.

"River, can I invite you for breakfast?" I inquired and he rolled his eyes.

"No," was his simple answer but after my constant arguments, he accepted.

_________

"One milkshake, a latte and six waffles please," I ordered, handing the cash to the moody lady.

"Now, let's get to the point. What are you doing with your life?" I was biting my tongue just not to spill the fact that his mother contacted me and that I was here only for him.

"Look, I don't want to pep talk with you," he grunted, his fingers fiddling with the bright colored tissue paper laying on the table. I took time to glance at his new tattoos - birds flying, some words in French and a rose.I internally smiled when I noticed the matching tattoo he and I got on our wrists - RFL - mine meant River For Life and his, Reese For Life. When I got my second tattoo - the word 'pain' tattooed below my left breast - I wanted to remove the one River and I had but in the end, it just brought me in tears and I went home, depressed.

"River... Please, be a little bit nicer to me," I told him.

"Okay,fine," he gave up and I grinned in victory.The waitress brought our order and I slapped River's hand when he tended a a ten dollar note. "Keep your money River.I invited you and the least you can do is talk to me normally and to eat." His lips quirked up but was soon replaced by his previous blank and emotionless expression.

"Why are you back in Texas?" he asked, sipping his latte.

"Just wanted to come," I lied.

"You're a bad liar, you know that, right?" He rolled his beautiful eyes and I swooned but quickly got over it.

"Okay, your mom called me River. I know what you are doing and I'm here to help you. I know we broke up half a decade ago but I promised that I'd always be here for you and my promise is still valid," I smiled but my smile swiftly faded when he threw the cup of latte on the floor, the porcelain shattering to pieces and left the Coffeeshop.I excused myself, leaving another ten dollar note before running after River.

"River, be reasonable - we are ad-"

"I am doing my own shit, so do yours and don't mend with mine. Understood?" A lonely tear escaped and rolled down my cheek as I watched River's figure slowly disappearing in the crowded space.

Am I supposed to give up on him or should I keep on fighting?