nine

"I've got thick skin and an elastic heart but your blade it might be to sharp."
- Sia

Reese

24 February 2017 - New York City

"Watching you studying makes me wanna go back to uni," River abruptly blurted as I flipped through the pages of my file.He came to my apartment at 7 a.m to check up on me this morning and I was still asleep!

"Why don't you go back then?" I asked, closing my file. His hands wrapped around my waist, pulling me closer to him. I could feel the minty scent of his aftershave.

"I am not made for school.Besides,I have too much to do." He laughed. He didn't work... then, how comes he had so much to do?

"What do you mean by 'have too much to do'"? I asked curiosly. Was he doing drugs or selling them?

"Nothing to worry about babe."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." He faked a smile. Was he lying to me again? If he did drugs, yes, I'd be deceived but most of the times, the sellers need the money to make their family survive and I'd understand that...but, River came from a wealthy family... this didn't make sense.

"You're selling drugs?" I asked truthfully, pulling down any barriers.

"No Reese... No." He scoffed, unsure. Why was I so obnoxious at times? Couldn't I just keep my mouth shut at times like my mom usually tells me to?

"Sorry," I mumbled, starting at his fingers whch were firmly gripping my thighs. I was still so amazed by the fact that we were still at ease with each other even after our on and off relationship. Was that even normal? Because my friend despised their exes.

"That's okay love," he chuckled.

"Are you moving to New York?"

"No, I'm going back to Texas next week," he admitted, hurt flashing in
his eyes."For work." Something was wrong... again. He didn't work...

"Oh..." I couldn't feel any sadder. We just came back on good terms and he was already going. But I couldn't blame him because next week, I would be having my exams.

"Don't be sad. I just have to buy an apartment and get a job," he says. You sais you just worked...

"You can stay with me baby," I laughed, shrugging the thought away.
He pulled me on top of his lap so that I was face-to-face with him.

"I'll look into it," he proudly smirked, pecking my lips. His tender lips felt soft against my chappy ones. I had to go to the drug store to get some gloss tubes and some lips moisturizers.

My phone suddenly rang and River grabbed hold of it.

"Who's Mitchell?"

"Hey Mitchell, are you okay?" I asked as soon as I pick up. She seemed so worried yesterday when her sister called.

"Yes dude. My granny had a heart attack but she's all good now."

"Is she okay?" Mitchell was really fond of Granny Liv, her maternal grandmother. She always blabbers about her and to be honest, I really liked the story times of Liv. The stories were adventurous and interesting, compared to my grandmother's.

"Wanna hang out at my cousin's coffee shop?" she asked and I denied.I couldn't let my guest alone.

"Please," she begged with a small voice.