sixteen

You and I came in like paper planes
So fast, crashing 'round my room.
- Deacon Philippe & Nina Nesbit

Reese
07 March 2017 - New York City

We drove to an unknown restaurant - I mean, I was taken to one. River seemed familiar with the workers since he was blabbering with them, laughing occasionally while I was sitting, waiting for him to come back.
Some people were not minding their own business and were staring at me probably because it appeared like I was alone.

"I'm back baby," he huffed before his whitening smile faded to a thin line.

"What's wrong?" I inquired, as I gently placed my hands on his. His hand was as cold as ice.

"Nothing baby... nothing to worry about," he reassured before his gaze shifted to someone behind me. He sent a small wave towards the unknown person. I curiosly turned around to find a young man, staring at River with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"River, long time no see," he chuckled as he took some steps further. "Mind introducing me to this stunning lady?" He palmed my hand in his before pecking it gently. I felt quite disgusted by the gesture but simply smiled to avoid any remarks from this man himself, later.

"Marco, this is Reese, my friend and Reese, this is Marco, my cousin." My heart broke into two pieces. Did he just call me a friend? Was I only a friend to him? Tears brimmed my vision but I quickly wiped them off and kept a joyful smile across my lips.

"Your friend, well... you won't mind if I take her for a walk?" River's jaw ckenched and before he could say anything, I got up and walked away with Marco. Both could play a game - If I'm a friend, then, he won't mind if I'm hanging out with his cousin.

I felt shattered. Little words could destroy everything.

A friend? Was he ashamed of me? Or was he just playing with my feelings like he did few years back? I hate this. I'm very calm by nature but I don't like being played like a little puppet over and over again. He never knows how much he hurts me. Words have so many meanings that men will never comprehend.

"So, tell me about you." Marco asked as we were strolling around the dark streets of New York. I was even more angry when I realized that River did not even bother running after me.

"I'm from Texas and I'm young," I chuckled, trying not to let the emotions ruin my mood. I probably sounded like a 'queen bee' - one moment I'm complaining and the other, I'm chuckling but no. A girl has got to live life and submerge those who do not care at all.

As much as I love River and despite that he is the sole owner of my heart, he hurt me. I won't lie and tell that I have never hurt him but I wouldn't call my boyfriend just a "friend" with my friends or even 'cousins'.

"You're very introverted, may I say," he assumed and I rolled my eyes, knowing he wouldn't catch me. It was dark - thank God.

"Depends on the person, Marcus."

"You're a bright girl... people usually don't know I'm named Marcus and not Marco..." he laughed and I rolled my eyes, once again, thanking him.

"Can you drop me to my apartment please?" We walked back to his the parking lot and jumped in his car. Out of precaution, I didn't give him my exact address but instead, told him to drop me by a nearby alley.

Afterwards, I took my heels off and walked barefoot on the gravely alley.
My heart fell immensely heavy.

Was I overreacting?