𝐢𝐢. 𝐟𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬

[ ii

[ ii. fast friends ]

october 23rd, 2010

➸➸➸

ASTRID CLUNG TO HER BULKY backpack, pressing it against her heavy chest as Glenn accelerated the red Mustang, the engine roaring with unrestrained power. They hurtled down the road at a speed that surely would have drawn the attention of law enforcement less than three months ago. Astrid's gaze remained fixed out the window, her senses on high alert as the towering buildings blurred into insignificance, their presence fading with every passing moment. To her surprise, Glenn remained mostly silent throughout the ride back to his camp; but, against her prior judgment of his character, his actions now delivered a disquieting silence that rather intensified her unease. She craved something, a comfort—a sound that did not come from the amplified blaring car alarm that continued to assault her eardrums.

Unable to bear the noise any longer, Astrid cleared her throat and broke the strained silence. "Is there any way to turn off that alarm?" She questioned anxiously.

Glenn shrugged. "If there is, I haven't figured it out yet," He admitted. "Just try to ignore it."

Astrid rolled her eyes at his response. Left with no other option but to suffer in silence, she leaned back in her seat and attempted to seek solace elsewhere in the realization that she was once again inside a vehicle. It had been far too long since she had experienced the comfort of a car, and only now did she truly feel the weariness of her feet after miles upon miles of walking.

Soon, Glenn veered away from the suburbs, steering the car onto unfamiliar dirt roads that wound their way up into the imposing Georgian mountains. Astrid pursed her lips, unsure how to feel about this abrupt change of scenery. "Your group seems to be pretty far out," She observed.

"We don't like to take chances," Glenn insisted.

With what? Astrid wanted to counter, but before she could press Glenn with that fateful question, her attention was torn away by the sudden shadow of movement over her shoulder. She hastily turned around in her seat, and her eyes narrowed at the sight of a large white van trailing them up the dusty road. Suspicion crept into her voice as she asked, "Who's that?"

Glenn stole a quick glance in the rearview mirror, following Astrid's calculated gaze. "Oh, don't worry. That's part of my group. They were with me in the city," He reassured. "But after today, I won't be bringing them ever again."

"What happened?" Astrid's frown deepened. "Why won't you bring them back?"

"Let's just say we had some close calls," Glenn said grimly.

"So, you prefer working alone?"

"Yes . . . And no. Depends on the situation, I guess."

Astrid nodded her head in understanding. "I'm like that, too."