special chapter: ssambbang

Chaewon was eight when she first met Hitomi. That day was nothing really special, there was no occasion at all. Mrs. Honda, who is her mother's friend, came to their house for a visit.

She was playing her piano peacefully to ease boredom and sharpen her skills when her mother suddenly barged inside her room, unannounced with a grin. Chaewon frowned, her fingers stopped pressing the keys instantly and turned to her mother with a curious look.

After all, the older woman usually knocks first before entering her room. This rarely happens, her mother not knocking and just suddenly appearing out of blue. Her mother is either in a hurry or excited, and judging by the grin on her lips, the reason must be the latter.

"Mom?" She quietly muttered, confused. Haewon crouched near her, holding her arm. "Hey, sweetheart. I just wanted to say that there are visitors downstairs," She exclaimed.

Chaewon's frown deepened. Visitors? Damn, it's bad news. She will be forced to talk and face those strangers once again. If there's something Chaewon hates on her mom, then it's about her being friendly and chirpy. She has tons of friends, be it university friends, highschool friends, workmates— you name it, Chaewon wouldn't be surprised if her mom is friends with all the people around the town.

She definitely got the calmness, quietness, and cold personality from her father. Chaewon got all of her mother's features but her traits, habits, personalities, and wit— it came all from her father. However, even with a very intimidating, grumpy, and cold attitude, they are still warm-hearted and kind.

The older woman must have probably noticed her bitter reaction and glared at her. "Come on, sweetie. You know them! It's Mrs. Honda! Remember her? My foreigner close friend?" She said, trying to make Chaewon remember.

Ahh yes, Honda, that surname rings a bell. Her mom used to blabber about the foreigner friend of her to Chaewon, telling about how they met back then in college and instantly clicked even with the language barrier. Until now, it seems like they are still contacting each other. But Chaewon doesn't care.

She subtly rolled her eyes, hoping that her mother wouldn't notice it and fortunately, she didn't and just continued to blabber. "It's been years since we have met, before you were even born." She said and stood up, tugging Chaewon's arm, making her stand up from the stool.

The younger groaned. "She's asking me about you! She's very excited to meet you, so let's go!" Her mom happily exclaimed and practically dragged her downstairs. Chaewon quietly whined, praying that she would be able to slip away later and go to her room.

Mrs. Honda is a cute japanese woman, she's very lovely and all, calm but not that talkative. The moment Chaewon and her met, the older woman immediately gave her a hug and pinch on the cheek then showered her with compliments. Chaewon could only sigh discreetly, after all, she's not that rude or disrespectful with older people.

"It's nice seeing you, Chaewon! You really look like your mother," Mrs. Honda gushed with accented Korean but nonetheless, she sounds fluent. Chaewon just smiled a little, her gaze going downwards.

Her eyes caught something, it's a kid. And she's hiding behind Mrs. Honda, peeking her head out from the woman's hips, staring at her.

Their eyes met. Chaewon arched her brow, staring back. Her heart warmed out of a sudden, it's most probably because of the other kid's sparkly and a pair of adorable honey orbs.

"Chaewon-ah! I would like you to meet my daughter, Hitomi!" Mrs. Honda said, looking at her daughter and encouraging her to introduce herself once again. Chaewon's stare to the other kid remained, scanning her from head to toe.

"Hello, I'm Hitomi," Hitomi introduced, bowing a bit. Chaewon noticed the broken Korean of the other kid but she won't judge her for it. The girl grew in Japan after all.