The Visit

Donald's POV

Charlotte had her arms wrapped around Donald, her body shaking from the  cold and he was trying to warm her up.

"I told you we needed jackets. Bad day to go out without jackets." His voice was soft, like it always was around her.

He hadn't felt that way around anyone for a very long time.

Her scowl made him laugh, she hated being told "I told you so".

"I hate it when you're right. They're supposed to be here by now."

The couple were waiting on her cousin and his children, they were half an hour late.

"Maybe there was traffic, it's DC."

"It's cold, wouldn't hurt him to call," she was excited to she her cousin but she didn't have a good morning, she felt on edge and she couldn't tell him why.

"There's a tourist shop near by," Donald said, making Charlotte's eye brow raise. She was visibly confused.

"Well that was random,"

"They have jackets there,"

She mouthed "oh" and laughed.

"I'm sorry, weird morning."

He pressed his lips softly on her forehead.

"It's alright love, it happens. Stay here I'll be right back"

Donald jogged over to the little shop and bought two jackets for them. he went back to Charlotte who was know on the phone.

"Jacob, it's been forty minutes, are y'all almost here?"
Donald was guessing her replied
"Thank god, yes. We're still in the park."

He handed Lottie her jacket, she smiled and signed thanks in ASL.

Putting the phone down, she wrapped herself in the tied dyed jacket.

And looking at him, she began to laugh uncontrollably.

"What?"

"This," she gestures at his jacket now, still laughing "it's so touristy and the exact opposite of your usual clothes."

He laughed to, and she pulled him close.

For a moment they were just young and in love, she wasn't a confidant for criminals and he wasn't an FBI agent. They were just Charlotte and Donald.

But then a man called out, "Lottie!"

The couple broke apart and greeted the man.

"Hello cousin," she gave him a hug.

"Hi auntie Charlotte," the little boy said.

Donald watched the scene, his heart warmed by how she was with kids. They had started talking about maybe having them, sooner rather than later.

"You're getting old Donnie," she had teased.

"Jacob, Edmund, this is my boyfriend Donald. Donald, this is my cousin Jacob and his son Edmund."

"Nice to meet you Don, Lottie had told me all about you."
The men shook hands, Donald noted his grip was tight. Very tight.

"Nice to meet you to, she's been very excited about you three visiting. Is this your daughter?" He squatted down by the stroller Jacob had been pushing.

"Yep, her name is Veronica."

The baby started laughing when he played with her.

~~