Chapter 34

I arrived at the gates to Hades' palace. They were as black as night, and guarded by Cerberus, a huge three headed dog. I walked to Cerberus sleeping off to the right of the gates. I reached forward and patted one of his muzzles, and the three pairs of eyes blinked open.

Now you might think, Cora, you're asking for a death wish petting this dog.

But, Cerberus was actually a sweetheart. He loved tummy rubs and butt scratches. But sure, if you were an intruder, he would go full guard dog mode on you.

As he saw me, he jumped up, wagging its tail.

"Hey, buddy!" I smiled and reached up, patting the middle nose. Even when he leaned down, I had to get on my tiptoes to reach him.

I found a bone on the ground, possibly human, but I chose not to think twice about that, and threw it. Cerberus leaped after it, and I took the chance to reach the gates. As soon as I got close, they opened up to a long path to the palace.

I began along the path, singing to myself quietly, "I'm on the highway to hell..."

When I arrived, I opened up the huge door, walking into a vaulted room. The walls were black, the floor blood red. It was empty upon first glance, so I made my way to the throne room.

This room was much bigger, and had two thrones at the end of it. I walked slowly to the end, seeing Hades, along with Persephone.

Hades' throne was made of bones. Gross, I know.

But Persephone's was gold, surrounded by bright flowers. I liked hers better.

"Ah, the great Cora," Hades gave me a smirk and leaned forward.

"Hi, Hades," I rolled my eyes. He has always been a flirt, even with me. Who is his niece.

I gave a nod to Persephone, and she smiled brightly back.

"So... I heard you're required to give me a gift?" I met my Uncle's dark eyes.

"Yes, your gift, if you would follow me." He got up, and we left Persephone, walking into a grand hallway.

As we walked to the end, I saw a large doorway. Walking through it was a small room, and in that was a trapdoor.

"What..." I looked to the trapdoor, then to Hades.

"Please, follow after me," He opened it, and climbed down the ladder below.

Again, I found myself in another room, a bright red door to my left.

"Hades, what is going on?" I asked, concerned and confused.

He walked to the door, gesturing for me to go inside, "The gift was too heavy to carry upstairs, figured I'd send it back with you."

The room was pretty small, white floors and white walls. I looked to the corner of the room, seeing a small bed. I turned around to the door, "What is this-"

I saw the shut the door in front of me, and heard the click of a lock.

"As much as I would like you to succeed... Actually, no," I heard him chuckle outside the door, "I wouldn't like to see you succeed."

I pounded on the heavy door, "Hey! Hey, get back here you greasy little rat! Let me out!"

This continued for what seemed like hours. My throat got hoarse from the continuous screaming. My hands were raw from my attempt of taking down the door. I tried, but I couldn't form water, I couldn't even form a weapon. Something in this stupid room was dampening not only my powers, but my energy. I slid down the wall, sighing in defeat.

You know, I should've seen this coming. Hades was always scheming to try and hurt his brothers. Or his brothers children for that matter.

* * *

The hours turned into days, the days into weeks. I assumed it had been about five months since I first arrived in the underworld. I didn't get to leave, once. No food, no water, no nothing. All I had was the bed sitting in the corner. By now, I had smashed it to pieces. I didn't sleep. My thoughts were mostly empty.

But what I did think about was Steve. I didn't know what was happening, I didn't know what he was doing. All I knew was that I wanted to see him. I wanted him to hold me in his arms. I wanted to cry into his chest. All I wanted was him.

And to know why my father or Zeus hadn't rescued me yet. You'd think they would've tried. But maybe Zeus was still just a jerk.

I looked at my hair, and it was starting to get longer, about halfway down my back. I got to my feet and stumbled. I stood in front of the door, raising my fists, hitting it, punching it as hard as I possibly could, like I did everyday. Everyday I would hit it until my hands were dripping with golden blood. Until the little energy I had left was gone. Until all I could do was lay on the splintered wood from the destroyed bed.

I stared up at the white ceiling, until sleep finally overtook me.

*          *          *

My eyes slowly opened, and I was in front of the Avengers Compound. I walked towards the door, and as I reached to open it, Steve burst out.

"Cora!" He wrapped me in a hug, and lifted me into the air, laughing joyfully. I wrapped my legs around him and looked down, cupping his face, "It's been so long, Cora," Tears streamed down his face, and I gave him a sad smile as I wiped them away with my thumb.

"But I'm back," I leaned down and kissed him passionately. We were finally together, after so long apart. I unwrapped my legs, setting my feet back on the ground.

"Come on, people will want to see you," He grabbed my hand and led me inside. Everyone, the team, Maria, Nick, even Peter was there, smiling as I walked in. I began talking to Natasha, after everyone gave me a big hug.

"Cora, you don't know how much we missed you."

"I missed you too," I smiled and looked down to my long hair.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, seeing Tony. I was wrapped in a hug, and we didn't let go for a long time.

Once I finally did, I looked to his face, but instead of its usual smirk, he had an awful smile. I looked at him confusedly.

"Tony? Are you okay?"

I took a step back, seeing everyone giving me the same smile that Tony had.

"Guys?" I took two more steps back, running into a wall behind me.

Steve then walked forward, "Oh, Cora... You think we want you back?" He gave a cold laugh that sounded nothing like him.

I looked at the door to my right, seeing Sharon Carter walk into the room. Steve reached out and held her waist as she wrapped her arms behind his neck, kissing him.

"What?" I said to myself, "No... no. Steve wouldn't..."

Natasha took a step forward, "But he would, and he has."

Everyone else walked forward, and I was forced to sink to the floor. They all stared down at me, fire in their eyes.

"We never wanted you," They all said in unison.

Suddenly they all transformed into Hades, black robes and dark hair. His image flickered, and they all morphed into one.

He towered over me, "You will never get them back, and you will never leave this place."

I bolted awake, panting. I looked to my surroundings, seeing the same white room I had been in.