Chapter 63

I sat, my arms folded. Rhodey's arm was around my shoulders for a small amount of comfort that we all needed. I looked up to Tony's hologram that played in front of us, tears slowly rolling down my cheeks.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn't always roll that way. Maybe this time. I'm hoping if you play this back, it's in celebration. I hope families are reunited, I hope we get it back, and something like a normal version of the planet has been restored. If there ever was such a thing."

I let out a small laugh. I mean, he's right. When were our lives ever normal?

"What a world. Universe, now. If you told me ten years ago that we weren't alone, let alone, you know, to this extent, I mean, I wouldn't have been surprised. But come on, you know? The epic forces of darkness and light that have come into play. And, for better or worse, that's the reality Morgan's gonna have to find a way to grow up in." His hologram sat down, and looked to us. "So I thought I'd probably better record a little greeting... In the case of an untimely death on my part. I mean, not that, death at any time isn't untimely. This time travel thing that we're gonna try and pull off tomorrow, it's– it's got me scratching my head about the survivability of it all. That's the thing. Then again, that's the hero gig. Part of the journey is the end." Tony got up and walked to the camera, "What am I even tripping for? Everything's gonna work out exactly the way it's supposed to." He leaned down, smiling and looking to Morgan, "I love you three thousand."

The message stopped, and I very quickly realized as soon as he cut off the message, that Tony wasn't here anymore, and memories began to flood through my head as we walked out of the house.

There was, of course, the first time we met. A party in LA, and why I was there I don't remember. I bumped into Tony, who was completely drunk, and he offered to buy me a drink, bring me back to his place... Classic Tony Stark things. After he had another drink, he passed out next to me, and I drove him back home. I stayed the night to make sure he was okay. He told me that morning that that was the most alcohol he'd drunk in one night and that he was glad I was there. Nothing romantic happened, but we became close friends immediately. I told him about my family history and how I had even worked with his father, and he realized the name Cora Wilder had sounded familiar. When he got back from captivity back in two thousand and eight, I was right by his side as much as I could.

We stopped at the end of the dock, and Pepper laid a wreath into the lake. I looked closer to it, and saw the arc reactor sitting in the middle, "Proof that Tony Stark has a heart" etched around it. I remember when Pepper gave that to him. He didn't admit it but I knew he always loved her from day one.

I took a step back and stood next to Steve, others who fought by Tony's side behind us. I grabbed Steve's hand and leaned my head onto his shoulder. I looked back out to the wreath and waved my hand, and the water rose the wreath into the air slightly, giving it one last look, before I let the water fall beneath it and the wreath disappeared from our view as it drifted down the lake.

I stood next to Wanda, looking out to the water in front of us.

Wanda looked over to me, "What are you going to do?"

"Nothing. Absolutely nothing," I gave a small laugh. "I'm ready to be done."

I saw her look down to her hands. "Wanda, you are one of my closest friends and like a sister to me. Losing you these last five years... I am so grateful to have you back. I know how much you have gone through Wanda. If you need anything, please come to me."

She looked at me with tears in her eyes and she pulled me into a tight hug. I pulled away and she gave a sad smile, "I will."

Clint came up to us, and I said my goodbyes to him, giving him another long hug and thanking him for everything.

Steve and I got into the car, and I saw Peter leaning against the side of the house, and I told Steve I would be right back.

"Hey..." I smiled slightly and walked up to Peter.

He looked up, and I saw his eyes red and puffy like everyone else's. He didn't say anything and just looked back down. I stood next to him, leaning against the wall like he did.

"You know... He really loved you. If he was ever harsh on you, just know that's because you meant so much to him." I looked over to him. "Just... Be a teenager. Live a normal life. You deserve it after all you've been through."

"You think I could do that?" He asked, a hopeful look on his face. "I mean, I want to... but without Tony here..."

"Hey, after all we've been through, we all need a break. There's plenty of people who will step up. All Steve and I want to do is live the rest of our lives normally." I let out a long sigh.

"Well... there's this girl I really like, and I was just thinking if you had any idea how I should approach her?"

"Ohhh a girl!" I gave a cheeky smile and elbowed him in the arm. He rolled his eyes, trying to hide his smile. "Well... Be genuine. Girls hate it when guys just try to prove themselves manly or whatever. Then again, Steve is literally the definition of a man... Get to know her, become friends. Or if you're already friends... Don't come on to strong. Or to weak. Just... Wow, I haven't had to deal with this for a long time. I feel like my advice it outdated."

"Well, what happened with Steve?" He asked.

"You know... A lot."

"Can you tell me anything else?"

"No, I don't think I will," I looked to him with a smirk. "But hey if you want to get her attention more, get her a nice necklace, buy one you know she'll like."

He nodded, "A necklace... okay."

I looked to Steve who sat in the car, and turned back to Peter. "Hey, if you ever need me, I'm there. If you need someone to kick someone's ass, maybe call up someone else. But more like... If you ever want to come over for dinner, Steve and I are there."

He gave a small laugh, and wrapped his arms around me, squeezing me tight. He pulled away, tears brimming his eyes like mine, and I smiled and ruffled his hair. "Hey, your aunts waiting for you," I said, nodding to May.

"Yeah..." He turned and walked away, but stopped and looked to me again before he reached his aunt. "Can I call you if I need help with MJ?"

"Ohh, so her name is MJ." I smiled as he looked down in embarrassment. "Always, Peter."

He nodded, and walked back to his Aunt, and I walked back to the car. I got in the passenger seat, sighing as I sat down.

"You alright?" Steve asked, looking over to me.

I nodded, and let out a sigh, "I'm ready to finally have a normal life."