7. YOU'RE FUCKED...NOT

Later that evening, after cooking dinner and my dosage of SUPERNATURAL, the front door opens as my mom enters.

"Sorry Vicky, I went to the library and didn't notice the time pass at all." My mom speaks feebly and I notice the redness of her eyes from crying.

"It's ok Ma. I've made dinner. Why don't we finish it and you can get to bed?"

"Yeah. Thanks baby." She says, heading to her room.

I set up the plates when mom comes back and serve the food as she sits.

We both eat in silence and my mom finally breaks it.

"Did Pa call you?" She asks, her eyes still glued to the food.

"Mhm. And he told me about the whole eight-month ordeal."

"Yeah..."

"So that means more girls time." I say wiggling my brows trying to lighten up her mood.

Fortunately it worked, even if it was for some extent.

Chuckling, she takes a deep breath.

"So? What's new in school? Besides Ved of course, please don't start drooling. Any new girls who you've interacted with...?"

This is code for: Have you found a friend other than Nikhil from the same sex as you?

And I hate this topic.

"No." I answer curtly and continue eating.

"No one? What abou—"

"Ma please." I clench and unclench my fists on my lap.

"Vicky I'm worried. You can't always have boys around you. You must make some new girl friends. You should at least try."

"I've got you." I shrug, trying to keep in the anger that's trying to make its way out.

Sighing my mom urges, "But I'm your mother. That doesn't mean I'm not you friend but—"

"Can we stop this please? We both know this is going nowhere." I snap and take my plate and the empty dishes into the kitchen.

My rage only grows once I realize that I've snapped at my mom after what she must've been through today.

I inhale and exhale trying to calm myself, but it only makes me think about all the crappy events of this day.

First, DQ calling me pathetic and making me feel that way too.

Then me almost being run over by a car. But at least, I got to be in Nikki's arms.

Then my mixed feelings around Nikhil.

Then my dad bursting my whole giddy bubble with his revelation.

Then my mom starting the be-friends-with-girls-too talk.

And me snapping at my poor mom just because of my bad experience in that field.

I'm done with the dishes while thinking and my mom corners me as I leave the kitchen.

"Rithvika listen to me please..."

I've explained so fucking many times and she keeps repeating this.

Knowing I can't take any more of this shit without shouting at her, I get out of the kitchen, take my over-ear headphones and walk to the front door.

I open it, but before closing, I turn to my mom who has been tailing me and speak in my calmest possible voice, "I promise I'll be back by the time I've to go to bed."