29. I LOVE YOU, BUT I'M SORRY

"What? Are you fucking kidding me?" I gape at DQ.

"Does it look like I am?" She looks at me and her face is full of nothing but seriousness.

"And does it look like I'll listen to you?" I snap.

"Oh, you will. You have to—"

"Well, boo fucking hoo princess, I'm sorry your feelings are hurt, not." I deadpan.

Not the good time for SUPERNATURAL references, seriously.

"I'm not hurt at all, in fact, I knew you'd deny me." She tilts her head before continuing.

"Now, now, you've lost a source of income after your father's death and you need money for this family to run, don't you?" DQ gives me a malicious smile.

"Y— you wouldn't." I warn her.

"Ritu, I would."

"But you can't. You're parents like to help me and they know my academic performance, so nothing you say will change their mind—"

"Not even few of your previous physics tests' score? Or the fact that you ditch classes a lot? My parents do think very low of me, but believe me when I say that they take my word seriously."

I swallow visibly, knowing very well how some of my physics scores had been in such a way that I had barely passed the test and also none of the parents who know me knew about my class ditching escapades.

"Shaina that's too low, even for you." I reason with her.

"And I care because?" She snorts.

"Because...because you used to be my friend, what even happened to you girl?" I ask her desperately, trying to make her see how much of a low blow this is.

Scoffing, she looks at me with rage.

"What happened to me? It was all you! I had to withstand all those comparison, discrimination, all those...all those hate. Just because you seemed to be a perfect figure but I was totally ignored!"

She starts pacing back and forth in front of me, shaking her head and muttering something inaudible.

She looks hurt, enraged, angered.

She looks crazy.

"Shaina you— you need help, this is not you, listen to me." I plead.

At hearing my voice, her head snaps towards me and she walk to stand right in front of me.

Pointing her finger at my face she continues seething, "You! You leave Nikhil. Not just a break up, leave him alone, forever! And it's convenient that you're changing your school so I don't know what you'll say but you are to cut all your ties with him. That'll be the help I need."

"No listen to me. This is not yo—"

"I don't fucking care if this is me or not. All I care about is how you'll break all your contacts with Nikhil."

"That's not possible! He's my boyfriend, my best friend and I love him whether he loves me back or not. I can't just up and leave!"

"You will, you have to! Unless you want your mother to overburden herself with so much stress to run the family? And if any other bank gets hold of a bad loan history you can forget about a loan at all, much less a low interest rate." She raises her brows in the end.

How can she do this? I mean, I knew she's financially well-off and cruel but not to this extent!

But was my love really important over my mom's stress, her health, my family and a lot more important aspects of my life?