Chapter 13

Nick's POV

I carried myself inside my apartment. The wind fought against me as I tried to shut the door. After one more tug, I got it shut. I hung my soaking coat next to Shannon's. I took hers in my hands and cuddled my face within it. I hope she's safe and warm in New York.

It's been raining for the last 4 days. The storm tonight seemed full of hatred then the anger it displayed the last few nights. I went to go to bed, but something caught my eye. When I walked to the white cloth hiding it's treasure, I rip it off. There stood my black grand piano. After all these years how did I forget it? I mean it's been in my living room. I rubbed my hand on the fine black wood. Once I opened the cover the power blew out. I got a candle by the shelf beside it. I lit it then sat it on top of the piano. The room was in compete darkness. All I could see were the black and white keys in front of me. I closed my eyes and begun to sing Shay's song I wrote so long ago.

"She walks away the colors fade to gray
Every precious moments now a waste
She hits the gas hoping it will pass.
But the red lights start to flash it's time wait."

Flashback
14 years ago

I'm sitting out on my parents patio with Shannon sharing a ice cone. She swung her little legs back and forth. The chaired swing we sat on moved along with her. She took a small bite from the ice cream cone.

"Can you sing it again?" She asked swinging her long blonde ponytail to the back. I slightly smiled and began to sing, "I'll Be The Light." She closed her eyes and listened. She listened with such a open heart. I could see the words coming out of my mouth and entering her. Once I finished she smiled at me.

"Do you promise to be the light whenever I'm lost?" She asked dropping the cone on the ground. I looked her straight in the eyes and responded.

"Not only do I promise to be the light. I promise that I'll make sure to create the path. So you can find your way back to me."

End of Flashback

I stopped playing for a moment as the memory settled in. A smile appeared on my face as I replayed it over and over. I continued singing the next part of the song.

"And the black keys never looked so beautiful
And a perfect rainbow never seemed so dull
The lights out
And never had this brighter glow
Then the black keys showing me a world I never knew."

Flashback
12 years ago

It was a Sunday morning and Shannon and I were laying on a field of green grass. We looked up at the sky together as the wind blew past. The sun began to peek through the clouds. She shielded her eyes.

"I hate the sun," she bluntly said. I turned my head towards her.

"Why?"

"It's almost like a giant spotlight. It's focused on everyone. It soaks everything in and shows you you're not alone. That their's something brighter out there."

"That's different, is there anything you like about looking at the clouds?" She smiled then scooted closer to me.

"I love the sky and I love the clouds. The clouds resemble what your mind wants to see. The sky is the canvas it's painted on. It goes to show that everyone is different. But we're also the same."

End of Flashback

I looked up at the ceiling as emotions hit me like a brick. I blinked away my tears.

"She hates the sun
Cause it proves she's not alone
And the world isn't revolved around her soul.
She loves the sky
Cause it validates her pride
Never lets her know when she is wrong.

And the black keys never looked so beautiful
And a perfect rainbow never seemed so dull
The lights out
And never had this brighter glow
Then the black keys showing me a world I never knew."

Flashback

8 years ago

Shannon and I just got done eating lunch as a local bakery. As we exited a group of guys and girls shoved into her.

"Oh look who it is? Little miss I wanna be famous. What a joke!" A taller girl with black hair said. The others laughed then joined in.

"Why don't you go back to your little town? No one wants you here you little slut." Another roar of laughter filled the air. Just as I was about to defend her. Shannon had ran off. I quickly followed and took her in my arms. We sat on a bench while she cried on my shoulder. I rocked her back and forth whispering in her ear repeatedly.

"Don't let them get in side of your head. Don't let them get inside of your head. Don't let them get..."

End of Flashback

"The walls are closing in
Don't let them get inside of your head
Don't let them inside

And the black keys never looked so beautiful
And a perfect rainbow never seemed so dull
The lights out
And never had this brighter glow
Then the black keys showing me a world I never knew.

Sometimes a fight is better black and white."

I shut the piano's case and placed my hands on it. It's been so long since I've played. Maybe I should start writing again. Maybe that's why I feel so empty inside. 'I'll give it a try tomorrow,' I thought to myself. With that I blew the candle out then headed for bed.