4

As this is the day of Ivy's arrival, Toby and I need to work together to make sure everything is in place.

What's making things awkward is that not only has he sat in silence for the past hour, he also banged into me on the way into this room and we head-butted each other as we kneeled to pick up the papers.

I'm smooth as fuck.

With his pen tapping on the table, his knee bounces, chewing on his bottom lip as his eyes scan his paperwork, and yeah, I'm staring, he's nice to look at.

"Doctor Miller," he says my name as he stands, piling his papers on the table and placing them down carefully. He doesn't look at me as he walks around the table, stopping in the doorway. "Coffee?"

Confused, I frown at him and tilt my head. "Huh?"

"Do you want coffee?" He laughs, his smile momentarily clouding my mind. "I'm going to the ward kitchen."

"Um, yeah. Thanks."

He nods, smirking to himself, and walks out of the room. I hear him greeting someone as he closes the door, before disappearing from my view.

I lean back on my chair, staring at the roof. I have everything set in place for Ivy and gave the nurses their paperwork too. I'm kind of stalling now, waiting around until I get the call that she has arrived.

My phone dings and I pull it out of my back pocket, seeing a message from Gabs that Toby the hooha hater is standing in front of her. I snort at her message, roll my eyes, and toss my phone on the table.

I spent all of yesterday explaining to Toby that I was drunk, and I never act that way, begged him to ignore my previous messages. He agreed and said he would like a clean slate but didn't answer me when I said I'd get him a coffee to make up for it.

Again, I'm smooth as fuck.

He walks into the room and pulls me from my thoughts, handing me a hot cup. "Milk and two sugars," he says, smiling at me as he sits back and sips his own.

"How'd you know how I take it?"

For fuck's sake, Aria.

I choke on my coffee as soon as I hear my own words, but he doesn't seem to click on as he furrows his brows at me coughing uncontrollably.

"How did you know what I take in my coffee?" I retract, fixing my words.

The corner of his lip curls up, showing me a dimple. "Did I get it right?"

I nod enthusiastically, giving him the thumbs up with a mouthful.

I swear I'm never like this, I'm usually very professional in my line of work.

"Well, I knew you'd take it sweet and milky," he says, with a glint of excitement in his eyes, leaning his elbows on the table across from me. "You look the type anyway."

"I look the type?" I ask, placing my cup down and extending my arms on the sides of the chair. "What exactly does that look like?" Crossing my ankles, I push the rolling chair back a bit. "Hmm?"

He sucks in his bottom lip, eyes raking down my chest. "Doctor Miller—"

"Doctor Miller, the patient is here." I hear a voice through the door and two taps against the glass screen, interrupting whatever Toby is about to say.

Toby watches me as I walk around the table, picking up the paperwork in front of him and stacking them. I lean down to whisper in his ear, but before I can get anything out, he bounces off his seat and pushes me against the wall behind us, making all the papers fall on the floor.