28

"Doctor Shique is meeting us at the shops next to the food court. Does your mum want anything brought back?"

Staring at my phone screen, I accidentally ignore Gabs until she nudges me with her elbow, making me look up at her. "Um, she hasn't asked for anything. I'm going to pick something up for Jason though," I reply, slipping my phone into my small black leather backpack, tossing it over my shoulder before we walk through security.

The entire drive here, Gabs chatted with the driver while I stared at my WhatsApp, typing a message out to Toby then deleting it again, deciding whether I should make up an excuse as to why I left without waking him or just leave things the way they are; over.

I decided to put my phone away and watched the scenery, enjoying the palm trees and the last views of the ocean as we drove to the airport.

"What will you buy him?" Gabs nudges me once more, frowning. "You need to get your head out of your arse."

"I'm just tired," I reply, running my palm across my forehead, the air conditioning in this airport is doing fuck all to stop the sweltering heat. "Maybe some sweets and a little something."

"What about a souvenir? Oh..."

I roll my eyes at her as she smiles at a group of boys next to us, probably forgetting her rules of not fucking younger dudes. "The one in shorts is cute," she says, smiling, tilting her head toward the group sitting at a table with beers in their hands.

I screw my face up at her, shaking my head as I continue walking, my phone vibrating in my bag makes me slow down. Gabs knocks into the back of me and huffs, whatever she says is inaudible to me as I glance at the screen.

Whiplash: What the fuck, Aria? You left?

Whiplash: What did I do?

Whiplash: Three missed calls.

"Jesus." I lift the screen for Gabs to see and she raises her brows, pulling down her sunglasses to get a better look. Yes, she's wearing them indoors. "What do I say back?" I ask, chewing on my bottom lip.

She shrugs, repositioning her glasses. "Do you want to talk to him still? I mean, I told Justin that it was done before he left for work this morning and he understood. Did you not explain to him that when you left... that was it—done?"

"It was supposed to be just sex anyway."

"When is it ever?" she asks, and we continue walking until we reach the fast-food area, taking a seat next to the entrance of one of the shops and wait for Doctor Shique. "It's better to be honest, Aria."

Looking down at my screen, I see five missed calls and countless messages. I read the most recent, my heart sinking.

Whiplash: I know I'm not the easiest person to be around, Aria, I can be a dick and I'm sorry, please answer the phone so I can talk to you, I'm losing my mind here. Please tell me what I did.

I have no idea what to say to him, I'm still battling in my head whether I should stay in contact, see how things go, or to block him and forget this ever happened.

I like Toby, I really like him. But come on, he's kind of weird, and he definitely has some issues, he's the total opposite of me, and lives in America.

I close out his messages and pull up Ewan's, shamelessly changing his contact back to his name, and asking if he's available for a call. I need to figure out what I can get Jason, something that won't piss his mum off.

She's a bit bitchy, has an issue with me still being heavily involved in her son's life, and gets extremely mad that Jason asks to stay over at my place all the time.