46

"I don't understand why she needs to stay here. Why can't she just go home? I refuse to have some knocked-up junkie under my roof. I can't even look at her without feeling sick."

I'm thinking of running into the dining room and spearing my dear mother into a wall to make her shut the fuck up.

I'm staying silent, hiding in the kitchen while she rants to Dad, claiming that I'm no longer her daughter and she's disgusted with me. I'm holding back tears, I have been for the past fifteen minutes, covering my mouth with my palm as she continues her belittling comments.

She doesn't believe me that I was drugged, that Toby had me brainwashed. He's only being charged with kidnapping Kayla, nothing about me.

I was questioned for hours about Toby and if I was an accomplice, yelled at when I started crying, palms slapping off the steel table in front of me when I repeated my words, claiming my innocence in all of this.

Kayla confirmed it, that I wasn't involved, and I've been left alone since.

The past week has been shit. Hard, to say the least. Although Gabriella has not left my side, I still feel alone. It's weird, how one man that fucks your world up can leave such an imprint on your mind. I'm not sure what he's doing, or when he will be deported back to the States, but I know he's currently awaiting his trial, waiting for me to stand up and testify against him.

"Keep her in the East wing, Rodger. She needs to think about what she's done and decide what she's doing with that monster inside her."

That's it.

Storming out of the kitchen, I hold back my tears with a tense jaw, stopping in front of her sitting at the dining table. "You're taking this too far! I'm no junkie, or someone that's carrying a monster. You need to shut the fuck up before I—"

"Before you what?" Mum stands, her eyes narrowing to slits as my dad throws his napkin down on his dinner plate. "Go on, tell me... We both know you're demented and challenged now. Who allows such a satanic man to impregnate them? You should be ashamed of yourself." She slowly walks from her chair, sliding her finger down the oak table. "And you call yourself a professional."

"That's enough, Dolores!" Dad yells, slamming his hand down, causing the plates to rattle. "Go to your room, Aria."

I fight back the flood building behind my eyes, gritting my teeth hard. "I hate you. And you call yourself a fucking mother."

"You little bitch!"

Before I can react, Mum slaps me across the face. The sting comes first, the throb of my red raw skin comes next, making me reach up and hold my cheek. I look between the two of them, seeing the pain in my dad's eyes as Mum stares me down. I step back once, stumbling slightly as they watch me.

"The sooner you get that thing out of you, the better," Mum sneers, screwing her face up at me and turning away. "I'll have it arranged."

I run.

I don't feel welcome in this house, I never have. Mum has always been against everything that I do in life, and Dad just goes along with whatever she says. The only people that have ever really had my back are Gabs and Ewan, the ones who encourage me to be proud of my work, my achievements, and even just to make me feel wanted.

The fact that my parents are very successful doctors, means they live in a house that resembles a fucking castle. The East and West wing, upper and lower, consists of more rooms than any basic hotel. There are four kitchens, umpteen bathrooms, and a garden that stretches into acres.

I once had a horse named pebbles, she had the shiniest white coat that caught my eye at the age of ten, and I braided her hair to make her look ridiculous. When I was sixteen, I didn't achieve a high enough mark in Math to satisfy my mum, so she sold Pebbles without letting me say goodbye.