Hope and Devotion

Ashe sighed. The seamstress her family had hired to sew her wedding gown had insisted that she needed another "final fitting." This must have been the third time this week, and the tenth since the gown had arrived at the palace. The seamstress was now taking in a few fractions of a centimeter along her hips, where the fabric did not cling "properly" to her hips. Ashe herself had hardly noticed any change since the second fitting, but complied when she had noticed something off in her gown. It was quite tiresome really; her ladies-in-waiting were becoming quite annoyed with the dress situation as well. Her makeup, hair, and jewelry were all done. All that was left were these final touches to the gown.

The clock and cathedral both struck twelve, by now Ashe was supposed to be in the carriage standing next to her husband-to-be, but alas, she was still stuck in her bedchamber until they was done with her work. She looked around the room; her servants in their best dress awkwardly quiet as if they wanted to speak up but were too afraid to say anything. The seamstress that was commissioned for the dress was a genius, her designs being among the most unique and fashionable in all of Dalmasca, but the woman's temper was to be feared. Ashe and Illyana, her closest servant, were among the first to learn this about her. When they were reviewing possible dress designs, the two had agreed that a long train, preferably one that could be buttoned up during the reception, would be best, but the seamstress had insisted on a short train, and claimed that they were ruining her art, as she called it, and proceeded to storm out of the palace. Eventually the whole thing was settled, but now her servants were afraid of disturbing the seamstress while she worked.

Finally, the last stitch was in place, and all knots tied. With a silent bow, the seamstress had left the chamber. Ashe did a quick visual check in the mirror. The dress was the same, and all her everything else was perfect and ready for the world to see.

"Are you ready, my lady?" Illyana was the first to speak. "And don't worry, everyone else has been notified of the delay."

"Yes, I am." Ashe said.

"Are you sure? You do know it's only once he shall see you like this," she said.

"Yes, I am," she replied. There had been much preparation for her wedding day; everything, from the steps up to the carriage she was to ride with her husband to the kiss they would share on the altar, were practiced. Yet she was still nervous about the whole ordeal. She was to commit herself to a man in the hope that the alliance between their two countries would solidify, preventing invasion from outside forces, and strengthening the two branches of Raithwall's bloodline. After this, she was now duty-bound to both Dalmasca and Nabradia, a full member of both courts and yet she wielded little power in both. She was the youngest of nine, although only four had made it to adulthood; and Rasler, he was the second in line for the throne. Thus they both had little power and influence over the court. She was to bear him children and rule by his side, if he were ever to wear the crown.

"Very well then."

Ashe stepped off the stool she stood on, and straightened out her dress so that it fell nicely onto the floor, showing off the draped design. And with that she left her chambers for the last time; after this she was to move to a new chamber with Rasler, and the two would begin their lives together as a married couple. Although their marriage was arranged for political purposes, it was a happy union nonetheless. She had known him for most of her childhood, and they were formally betrothed upon her twelfth birthday. During those five years, they had exchanged visits and letters, and she grew quite fond of him and his company. Their parents considered this as a sign that their union would not only bring long lasting peace, but also bring happiness to their children. And if the prince and princess were happy, the attempts to usurp the throne would be kept to a minimum.