Hope and Devotion (Chapter Two)

The royal palace's dining hall and ballroom were gorgeous. All the chandeliers were lit, the stone floors had been cleaned until they shined like marble, the drapery was changed into a soft white and gold silk, the painted ceilings were restored and lit so that their true colors illuminated the space. The dining tables were polished, linens changed to match the drapery of the ball room, and artful arrangements of jasmine, rose, and white lilies were set as centerpieces on each crisp surface. Never in her life had Ashe seen the palace decorated so extravagantly, not even for the most lavish balls and holidays. Even though she had some say in the decoration, she had never imagined it like this, so rich and radiant. There was an almost dream-like quality to the whole place.

She then turned to Rasler, who was looking around the room. "It's stunning, isn't it?" she asked.

"It is, but don't you think it to be slightly over the top?" he answered, examining a nearby flower arrangement.

"Perhaps, but you must admit that it's beautiful, and besides, I'm the only surviving daughter and the first of father's children to get married." She eyed a nearby place setting; the china and silverware were as untarnished and beautiful as gemstones. It was sadly true; her only sister, along with four of her brothers and her mother had all died in the plague three years ago, and none of her elder brothers had yet married. "It's an important event, and he wants to make it memorable."

He glanced at one of the nearby centerpieces. "I see your point, when my brother married it was quite… celebratory."

She placed her hand on his, "I think that our parents have more enjoyment in planning and throwing these weddings than their own children do," she pointed out.

He nodded, "My mother can't wait to see my sister married off, and the poor thing is only fourteen. I try to tell her she isn't even betrothed yet, but she insists on planning a wedding for her. No wonder my - I mean, our people think she is so eccentric, and that is one of the more polite adjectives."

"Just let her be. If you try to fight her, it shall only get worse."

"Try telling that to my father! Every time there's a meeting with a foreign dignitary, the whole issue comes up and it becomes so awkward - almost unbearable at times. I do hope our stay in Dalmasca lasts a little longer than intended - maybe a few months more! It's much more peaceful here." He clasped her hand.

She smiled. "If that's the case, then I might have to make sure that you are not going to miss your homeland."

"You don't have to. I would rather not be a burden to my wife and her family." He paused for a moment, and glanced at the table at the front of the room, "We should sit down for dinner so that we can start the meal." All those attending the feast were standing around awkwardly, waiting for something to happen.

"Yes, we should." She gave him a slight nod, and followed him up to the table at the head of the room. They took their place of honor in the center of the table, and as they sat down, servants emerged, laden with platters of food. After two short speeches from each ruler, congratulating the newlywed children, the feast began. What was to be served had become the subject of much debate; weere they to serve Nabradian or Dalmascan cuisine? Eventually it was decided that they would serve foods of both styles. Ashe looked down at the bowl placed in front of her. It was filled with a spiced seafood stew, made with various shellfish in a clear broth served atop of noodles. She took a bite of the fragrant dish, and then turned her attention to her husband. "Where do you get the idea that you would be a burden? My family is quite happy having you live here for as long as you wish," she said.

"I thank you all for that," Rasler said, picking up his fork.

"It's nothing! As I said earlier, father thinks of you as family, and my brothers seem to like you." She took a bite of pasta.