Hope and Devotion (Chapter Eleven)

Ashe wandered through the streets of Rabanastre, the members of the resistance following her, so that Vossler would not scold her later. Her own husband did not mind her going off on her own; it was only Vossler, and other members of the resistance, who treated her like that. It was supposedly in her best interests, but part of her felt that they were treating her like that simply because she was a woman, and a royal. They probably thought of her as weak and incapable when in truth it was quite to opposite,

She closed bit her eyes for a brief moment and placed her hand on her stomach. She was now ten weeks along, and her waist was now thicker and bosom fuller, not overtly so, but she had to buckle her belt on the larger hole, and her clothing was a tighter.

Now that she was expecting, she felt closer to Rasler. Perhaps it was because they were expecting a child, or because they spent more time together now that they lived in such a small space that they shared. The only drawback to their home, was the lack of privacy, in the palace she could retreat to her parlor to have a moment of peace and quiet.

Finally, she arrived at the resistance headquarters with her men in tow.

"How did their training go today?" Vossler asked, turning his attention away from the weapons he hung on the racks.

"It went well, and some of them have improved significantly." Ashe replied, watching him as he worked.

"Always good to hear." He replied.

She nodded, "So where is my husband?"

"He went off with some of our men to train. He wanted to start building his strength."

"I see, he mentioned that a few days ago, when I noticed that he was trying to wean himself off using the cane." She paused, and pulled up a chair. "I hope that he doesn't overexert himself."

Vossler tilted his head. "He has done that before?"

Ashe nodded. "Many times when we were children."

"I see. He certainly knows how to worry you." He replied. "Well, we need more swords." He placed the final sword on the rack.

She rested her head against her palm. "How many?"

"About five for now."

Behind them the door opened, Rasler limped in he was carried by two other members of the resistance. He slumped into the nearest chair and winced.

Ashe walked over to him. "What happened?"

"I injured myself… sorry." He rolled up his pant leg, to show his swollen knee. "I was practicing my sword fighting. I thought I could manage without my cane."

She knelt in front of him and examined his injured knee, pressing her fingers against the swollen tender flesh. He cringed at her slightest touch. "It's back to the way it was months ago. I'll help you back home, and see what I can do there."

"Sure." Rasler got up, using the chair to support his weight. Ashe immediate stood up, took his arm, and placed it on her shoulder. It surprised her how heavy he was, and with his height the maneuver was more difficult than she expected.

"We'll be back, in a few hours, hopefully." She added, looking down at her husband's knee. Together they left to treat Rasler's injuries.

0o0

"I have good news." Ashe took a seat on the bed, and smiled. Her hand rested on her rounded stomach.

Rasler walked over to her and took a seat. He nodded, giving her the sign to continue.

"I-I felt our child move."

"Really? When?"

"Just now." She took his hand and placed it on her stomach.