Hope and Devotion (Chapter Three)

Rasler got up from his seat and offered his hand to Ashe. "Shall, I have this dance?" he asked, with a slight bow.

She took his hand, smiling. "Yes."

She followed him to the ballroom, which was as splendidly decorated as the dining hall. It was their first dance together as a married couple; they were to dance in front of the court and their families. They practiced the dance under the supervision of their dance instructor several times over the past week until Ashe was sure she could complete the steps blind. They stood in the center of the ballroom, with all the guests and their family members looking on. Ashe gave a curtsy, Rasler gave a bow, and then the music began. The song chosen was from one of Ashe's favorite operas, the theme played during the beloved scene where the two lovers share a clandestine meeting in the garden and profess their love and intent to marry, despite their prior betrothals arranged by their families. The two later learn that their families intended to marry them all along. The song was fitting to their situation, for despite their parents arranging their marriage, they were still happy and shared a mutual fondness for each other.

She looked into his eyes and demurely placed one hand in his, and rested the other on his shoulder, feeling to cool metal of his armor. He always wore his armor during formal events. It was some sort of tradition that dated back centuries, and it showed his role as protector of his people and his family's command over their armies. She felt his free hand brush her cheek tenderly as he moved her veil aside, before it came to rest on her hip.

Thus, the dance began; the waltz commenced at a slow tempo, reflecting the lovers' nervousness and secretive escape to see each other. Slow and gentle, like falling in love. Ashe leaned in closer to her husband and let him lead. It reached its crescendo, moving from is very soft and slow beat into a medium pace. Now the two lovers stood in the middle of the moonlit garden surrounded by flowers, declaring their feelings for one another. Rasler increased his pace, and she followed his lead. The music now slowed down, and became softer, as the young man asked for the girl's hand in marriage. In turn, their dance slows down, and he holds her closer. She accepts, and the orchestra plays louder before fading into nothing. Their dance ended, Ashe gave a curtsy, and Rasler a bow, signaling the end of their first dance.

They walked off the ballroom floor holding hands, while all the onlookers applauded them. Then the orchestra began to play another song, and couples filed onto the dance floor.

"You dance well," Ashe said, while she followed her husband to the side of the room.

"Only because we practiced," Rasler replied, leaning on a nearby chair.

"Oh, is that so?" She tilted her head, and smiled. She didn't have much experience dancing with him despite their long courtship; he always found some excuse to get out, maybe taking her outside on a walk, to enjoy the sunset or stars.

"Unless it's a simple dance or something like that, then I'll be fine. Otherwise, I fear that I may make a fool of myself." He laced his fingers into hers, and shook his head.

"If I request one that is slower, will you dance with me then?" she asked.

"Perhaps, especially if you take the lead," he said, taking a seat in the chair he had been leaning on the moment before.

"I will." She grinned, mischeviously, affectionately - and then walked off into the crowd, her dress trailing behind her, leaving Rasler to his own devices.

Ashe wove through the crowd and dancers. The ballroom was a flurry of brightly colored silk gowns, tailored waistcoats, and the light that reflected off the beaded gowns and chandeliers. Suddenly she felt a tap on her shoulders. "I've been looking for you all evening."