Hope and Devotion (Chapter Twelve)

"And now, you have to get me those sweets you promised me." Ashe said as she and Rasler stepped out of the restaurant where they ate supper. It was a rather nice and romantic place, but the cost required them to save the money for the meal. In truth it was a special night, and one worthy of celebration. Had they still lived in the palace, a private party would be thrown to celebrate their first year as a married couple, and another in honor of her pregnancy.

"Of course." He held her hand, lacing his finger between hers.

"After that, I have a surprise for you." She giggled and leaned her head against his shoulder. They walked hand in hand through the streets of Rabanstre.

Rasler cocked an eyebrow. "Oh do you?"

"Yes, but you just have to wait. It's something that I'm sure you'll enjoy." She grabbed the top of his pants teasingly.

The city streets were still buzzing with activity well into the evening. Merchants were selling off the last of their goods, while taverns and restaurants were open for business. Pedestrians walked through the streets, busy in their conversation. However, despite the sense of normalcy, imperials still took their posts watching over the citizens, making everyone tense below the surface.

Ahead there was a group of young men that Ashe had helped train; they were the typical sort, young men who had lost their families in the war. The stench of alcohol emanated from the group, along with their shouts and taunts at an imperial standing watch. She shook her head, and smoothed out the wrinkles in her skirt.

What happened next was all a blur. There was retching and some insults flung and the next thing she knew, she and her husband were trying to escape the riot that broken out.

The grip on his hand tightened as they tried to escape the frenzied crowd. It was a torrent of bodies; all tangled together pushing against each other. As chaos grew, so did its force. Her grip on his hand weakened, finally giving way once when one man pounced on another behind him.

"Rasler!" She shouted, into the crowd. No one responded. She was tossed around like a leaf in a sand storm. Getting out, now became her priority. Too much time here, and who knows what might happen to her. She pushed her way through the chaos of the crowds making little progress. Something grabbed onto her clothes yanking hard. She turned around, raising her fists in case a fight was called for.

She slammed against a wall. "Who are you lassie? You don't look like the usual scum that we find in these parts." A soldier pinned her against the wall, his vice-like grip holding her in place. Her head slammed against the wall. "Some sort of harlot perhaps?" He eyed her though his helm.

Ashe tried to wriggle out; she kicked him several times, her blows landing on his armor. No way would she let him so much as touch her.

"Just how I like 'em, feisty." He reached out and stroked her cheek. "Now where have I seen you?"

"Unhand me! Or I'll…" She couldn't believe this is how Archadia let's their soldiers behave.

"Oh you'll what? You seem to forget who has the upper hand." His grip on her arms tightened. "You're not just any lassie. You're the one who leads them men into the desert to train, some insurgence or something. Think we don't know what you peasants actually do? Not so strong without you're weapon are you?" He kneed her in the stomach sending a sharp pain through her body.

She writhed, attempting to slip from his grip. She needed to protect herself from this monster. "You should stay home, who knows what others might think, seeing you with those men."

Ashe's foot made contact with his armor, despite the dull throbbing in her foot she continued to kick. "You have no proof of me doing anything. And if you tried anything on a defenseless woman wouldn't they strip you of your rank?"