Hope and Devotion (Chapter Six)

Yesterday Ashe had received a letter from her husband. She never expected it to arrive so fast. The letter in hand, she read it over several times before tucking it away, safely with her other treasured possessions, the invitation to her betrothal ceremony, some flowers that Rasler had given her during one of her many visits to Nabradia that she later dried, one of her mother's necklaces, a drawing that one of elder brothers had scribbled on. Everything in the box was a memento from the past, and had hoped that one day she could share them with her children.

She read the letter again. It was brief, spanning only half of the page, and Rasler's handwriting was noticeably rushed. He wrote of arriving safely to Nalbina, and of his duties as a commander. He also put in a line about how he missed her dearly, and wished to see her again. Ashe folded up the letter and tucked away, she sent her reply yesterday, and now could only wait.

A small knock echoed through the room. "Highness? His Majesty wishes to see you in the garden." A servant said her small head peeking through the doorway.

Ashe rose from her desk, and turned to face the girl. "Tell father that I shall see him soon." She wondered for a moment why the girl was being so formal, they were in private and a simple "Milady," would suffice. The girl scampered off without another word.

The halls of a palace felt unusually somber. The country was at war, with its only ally lost. Her two older brothers and her husband left to fight in the war, leaving her only with her father, and eldest brother. Ashe was never really close to her brother, Leo, fifteen years separated the two, and the two were distant at best.

She stepped into the palace garden. Plants from all places in Ivalice were planted in the garden, all irrigated to prevent them from shriveling in the desert heat. The gardens were grand but they hardly compared to the splendor of Nabudis, which spanned upon dozens of acres. Rasler had personally given her tour, after which they sat under the vale blossom trees tucking flowers into each other's hair, and whispering secrets. Perhaps one day it would be restored, and they would once again be able to stroll through the flowers.

"Father you wished to see me?" Ashe gave a small curtsey.

Raminas greeted his daughter with a small nod. "Yes. Let's take a walk together shall we?" They walked through the garden together. "Time goes by so fast." He said breaking the silence between them.

"What do you mean?"

"Seventeen years ago I held you as a babe in my arms, and before I know it you're a grown woman already married, and soon to be queen."

She nodded and smiled. "And you father, have remained the same."

He took a few steps forward. "You may believe that Ashe, but I assure you I have not age has already taken its toll on me."

Ashe nodded once again, not quite sure what to say. They stopped in front of a group of white roses.

He father then began to speak. "These were a gift from when your mother and I married. She was about your age when we wed, we were both nervous not having known each other well. But over time we grew fond of each other. It's been five years and I still miss her."

"I miss her too. I wish she could have seen me get married."

"She would have loved to see you. You looked gorgeous that day." They were both quiet for a moment.

"Thank you." She gave her father a curtsey.

Raminas looked down at his daughter, "So has Rasler been treating you well?"

"He has, and over the past month we've grown much closer, and our bond and affections grow deeper." She clasped her hands together.

"I'm glad to hear that." He took a seat next to the fountain and waited for Ashe to follow. "Is is true that you are with child?" He asked simply.