𝐢𝐯. ABANDONMENT AND GUILT

▬▬▬▬▬ CHAPTER FOUR ▬▬▬▬▬

ESMERELDA HADN'T HAD THAT DREAM again for the next several days, which was good because today was now her fourteenth birthday and also the day of her first Defense Against the Dark Arts lesson (which she shared with the Gryffindors). She had been planning on skipping it since Hogwarts had a terrible track record of hiring the worst teachers for that class and they always lasted for only year.

However, apparently the new teacher was different. According to some housemates, she overheard them gushing about how amazing Professor Lupin was far better than any professor they had before. And while that was all nice and good, what really caught her attention was that he apparently did practical lessons, something none of the previous teachers had ever done before (save for that one time with Lockhart, but that was a mess).

When she entered the classroom, she was very disappointed to find the whole class there and not the professor himself. It took him about five minutes to finally show up, looking just as tired and shabby as the day before.

He smiled at them and placed his old looking briefcase on the desk.

"Good afternoon," he said. "Would you please put all your books back in your bags. Today will be a practical lesson. You will need only your wands."

Yes! Esmerelda mentally cheered. Turns out the rumors about him were right after all!

Once she put her things away, she filed out of the room with the rest of the class. Remus led them to an empty hallway, but as they rounded the corner they ran into Peeves. He was in the middle of yet another prank, floating upside down and stuffing a keyhole with chewing gum.

He broke out into song when he saw Remus. "Loony, loopy Lupin, loony, loopy Lupin, loony, loopy Lupin—"

Rather than getting annoyed, Remus merely smiled at the singing ghost. "I'd take that gum out of the keyhole if I were you, Peeves," he said pleasantly. "Mr. Filch won't be able to get in to his brooms."

Peeves responded by blowing a raspberry at his face.

Remus sighed and took out his wand. He glanced over his shoulder at the student. "This is a useful little spell. Please watch closely." He pointed it at Peeves and said. "Waddiwasi!"

The chewed up piece of gum shot out of the keyhole and into Peeves' left nostril, making him fly away, cursing.

"Cool, sir!" Dean awed.

"Thank you, Dean," Remus smiled as he tucked his wand away. "Shall we proceed?"

They resumed their walk. Remus, for some odd reason, stopped outside of a staffroom. He opened the door and waved them all in.

The room was long and paneled, full of old, mismatched chairs and a wardrobe off to the side. It was nothing special, but Esmerelda already preferred it to the Professor Trelawney's classroom. The only problem was that Snape was there, sitting in a low armchair.