𝐯𝐢. THE FATEFUL NIGHT

▬▬▬▬▬ CHAPTER SIX ▬▬▬▬▬

EVERYONE WAS HAVING A SLUMBER party at the Great Hall while she was busy petting giant pandas in China with Nico. After a quick meal in the kitchens, Professor Sprout hurriedly led Esmerelda to the Great Hall where the rest of the students were.

Dumbledore had generously given each student their own squashy purple sleeping bag which was a hundred times better than the ones given out at camp. She definitely wouldn't have minded having to sleep on the floor of cabin twelve for five years straight if this was the sleeping bag they had given to her.

Gods, it's so soft, she marveled, settling in well with her sleeping bag. Her shuffling caused the body next to her to turn around and notice her. It was Hannah.

Her blue eyes popped out in shock. "Essie?!" She whispered, not wanting any of the patrolling teachers to overhear her. Everyone was supposed to be 'asleep' after all.

'Hi', she mouthed back.

Hannah glanced around cautiously before scooting closer to her sleeping bag. "Where have you been?" She asked, sounding almost hysterical in her whispering. "You didn't show up at the feast, and then we heard Sirius Black tried to break in—we all thought he got you!"

She shook her head slightly, looking genuinely guilty. "I'm sorry, I was being stupid. I fell asleep on some bench in Hosgmeade and it was already dark by the time I woke up. I didn't mean to worry any of you guys..." It was a coverup she had made up as she was being taken to the Great Hall. It wasn't very good, but it was the only one she could come up with in case any of the students asked about her whereabouts.

Hannah looked incredulous. "You were taking a nap this entire time—?!" Her voice rose and she quickly looked around to make sure no adult was coming by. When there weren't any, she looked back at her. 'Seriously?!' she mouthed.

"Sorry..." She whispered sheepishly.

The incredulous look still stayed and whatever reply Hannah was going to come up with was swallowed down when Dumbledore returned to the Great Hall. The girls quickly shut their eyes and decided that now was probably a good time to fall asleep.

╞═════𖠁𐂃𖠁═════╡

A few days passed after that not-so-fun-and-exciting slumber party at the Great Hall. There had been no other reports of Sirius Black, but everyone was scared. He was still prowling the area, everyone knew it. The Fat Lady had been so terrified after the attack that she refused to return to her painting and her guarding spot had been replaced by some other painting that—according to the Gryffindors—was an asshole.

Other than that, nothing else happened.

The first thing Esmerelda did when she woke up in the morning before her DADA class was Iris Message Percy in her dorm's bathroom. She had been so busy with other things that she had completely forgotten to tell anyone what she had found out. So with the room silenced to keep from anyone eavesdropping, she created a misty rainbow with just her palm and tossed the gleaming drachma in.