𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢. ROOTS

▬▬▬▬ CHAPTER SEVENTEEN ▬▬▬▬

EVERYTHING WAS READY. NOW ALL Esmerelda needed to do was to get Sirius (and possibly Buckbeak) to New York.

With a few tricks with the Mist, the staff members of Icarus Tower now believed that Sirius Black—or "Steven White" as she had renamed him as—was the esteemed tenant of the penthouse suite.

Yep. She had given him a penthouse. Not only that, but his new home resided in the Upper East Side neighborhood of Manhattan where everything pretty much oozed 'overpriced'. It seemed a little excessive, but after being stuck in Azkaban for twelve years, she figured her uncle could use some luxury.

The penthouse was luxuriously furnished too (sort of). The Stolls—who were mostly in charge of the furniture—got a little too excited when she told him what sort of house she was planning on taking. They grabbed the most high-end and coolest things they could steal. In Esmerelda's opinion, most of the things they brought were more weird than cool: a hippopotamus-shaped couch, a rhinoceros-shaped armchair (those two came as a set), the actual throne from Game of Thrones, a Jason Vorhees coffee table, and many others. The most normal thing they had stolen was the circular water bed in the master bedroom.

"So," Travis said loudly over the screams and gunshots coming from the video game he was playing on the newly stolen LG television. "When's he coming here?"

"It depends," Esmerelda shrugged as she stepped out of the kitchen with a steaming hotpocket. "If he's nearby, then we'll wait for him to get here. But if he's somewhere far, then I'll have to Mist travel to get him. Hopefully he's nearby because I'm not exactly comfortable Mist traveling with two people..."

"Two?" Connor asked, eyes fixated with the carnage going on on the screen.

She nodded, plopping down between them on the accursed hippo couch. "Buckbeak the hippogriff will most likely be with him."

"Ah," he said, as his avatar was stabbed with a sword. "Cool."

She rolled her eyes and bravely took a bite from her hotpocket. "What're you two playing?"

"Mortal Kombat," they answered in unison.

"I doubt my uncle would be interested in this." She deadpanned.

"You never know," Travic chimed.

"Fatality!" The deep voice from the screen said, and Connor let out a cry of outrage as Cassie Cage got her guts and head drilled in by ice.

"Loser," Travis stuck his tongue out.

Esmerelda waited until she was finished with her hotpocket (and until the Stolls fought several more gory rounds) before getting up to IM her uncle. To her surprise, he was chilling against a tree and enjoying some grilled pork skewers with Buckbeak.