𝐱𝐱. INTO THE LABYRINTH

▬▬▬▬ CHAPTER TWENTY ▬▬▬▬

REMUS STAYED OVER FOR SEVERAL days before having to return back home. Needless to say, Sirius was disappointed.

"You can't stay a little longer?" He begged with wide eyes.

He wouldn't admit it, but he was getting a little lonely. Next week, Esmerelda would be leaving for camp because apparently they were preparing for a war (something that he really, really, really was against her participating in) and she would be needed back. The Stolls have left the previous week too for the same reason (couldn't that camp use adults instead of child soldiers?), and soon it would just be him in the house.

He couldn't even have Harry with him. They had contacted Dumbledore about it, but according to old the headmaster, it was 'imperative that Harry stay with his relatives over the summer', which Sirius said was bullshit because he knew the Dursleys and how awful they were! How could Dumbledore have his godson live with them?!

Nevertheless, Dumbledore insisted on it and that was that. He had been exchanging letters with Harry though, and he seemed to be doing somewhat fine, but the details about his life with the Dursleys were always scarce.

At least I'm not stuck in hiding, Sirius thought, trying to see things in a more positive light. Thanks to Esmerelda's assistance, he was pretty much free to do whatever he wanted. He could go out in public, make friends, etc. etc. But the thing was, what he wanted most was to have Harry and Esmerelda under his care.

But noooo, Esmerelda was getting ready for war and Harry was stuck with the Dursleys. Two situations he would rather they not be in.

"I haven't been home in awhile since I've been staying at Hogwarts for a full school year. I still need to tidy things up. Plus, I'm behind on groceries." Remus explained patiently.

"Do you still have the coin purse I gave you?" Esmerelda asked.

He smiled as he held out a small, flowery, coin purse that looked ridiculous in his hand. "Yes, and again, thank you for this, Esmerelda. It was very useful. I bought myself a new jacket and a suitcase."

"What's so special about it?" Sirius asked curiously, peering down at the thing.

"It gives me unlimited money." Remus explained, tucking it back in his pocket. "Wizarding currency only, of course."

Sirius nearly choked on his spit. He whirled around to face his niece. "You gave him unlimited money?!"

She shrugged. "Yeah, why not?"

He turned back to gawk at Remus, who also shrugged. But there was a grateful look in his eyes. He had really needed that money. And that was when Sirius remembered that werewolves weren't exactly 'for-hire' in wizarding society. Esmerelda had truly helped him out by giving him that coin purse.