Chapter Four- Diagon Alley

The day that the professors told young Callie what she was, was revolutionary. As soon as they left, a big smile made its way to her face. She was a witch. She could hardly contain her happiness.

She always knew that she was different but now she had proof. Proof that she was different from the bugs she happened to live with. Even better than that was the idea of a world filled with people just like her and soon she would be a part of it.

She would have so much to do the next day, first she had to find out how much her parents had left her, after that she had shopping to do. Shopping for clothing, books and, more importantly, her school things.

She had so much to learn about this new society, particularly, the war that was mentioned previously. War doesn't just end because the leader vanished. The professor didn't answer her questions so she would just have to find the answers herself. Even though she hated reading about history. History was written by the Victor's while the losers were always the bad guys, it was extremely prejudiced. Perhaps the truth was somewhere in the middle. She could always hope that some books out there contained actual facts rather than author influenced rubbish.

When Callie finally went to sleep, she was smiling. Dreaming of a life better than the one she currently had.

The next morning, Calliope woke earlier than usual. She put on her best clothes, although that didn't mean much; they were all pre-owned and not of high quality but it was better than the rest of her clothes. She left a note for the matron and took the first bus to London. It was rather early in the morning so finding the entrance to the Leaky Cauldron was easy. Before long she was taking her first steps into a new world.

Callie could hardly believe it, she was finally where she belonged. Without missing a beat she approached the counter.

"Excuse me" her voice was heard above all the noise and Tom, the bar keep, looked over to her.

"Good morning miss, how can I help?"

Callie made herself look as innocent as possible and smiled a big smile. "Good morning mister Tom. Yesterday I was told that I was a witch and I was given a list of things to buy from Diagon Alley. Could you open the entrance for me?"

The mask of innocence was perfected by Callie and it was necessary for this particular situation. She hesitantly admitted to herself that she was excited. Although she knew such childish behaviour wouldn't help her in the long run. It just wasn't her but in some situations she deemed it acceptable.

"of course miss," Tom told her with a toothless smile, and led her to the back of the pub where they stopped in front of an ordinary looking brick wall. "Pay attention to the sequence."

Calliope nodded and saw Tom take out his wand and tap several bricks. In front of her eyes a doorway appeared that lead to another street.

"Welcome to Diagon Alley"

Callie tried to control her reaction, she really did, but it was extremely difficult. The whole place screamed magic and Callie didn't even notice that she was alone as Tom retreated back to the bar. She was mesmerised.

However Callie remembered all the things she had to do today and she quickly pulled herself together. Fortunately, the alley was rather empty, so no one was paying attention to her excited state.