Chapter 31- A Hopeful Letter

A little over two weeks after she arrived at the orphanage, she had established a routine identical to what she had before she went to Hogwarts. 

The same day she'd arrived she went shopping and filled her cooling cupboard, she still found it odd that the wizarding world had no fridges. Instead there were cupboards with several charms to keep food cold, fresh or in some cases, frozen.

Having those little magical things during summer was a blessing. After being in a world full of magic it would have killed her to spend the whole summer without it. At least she could practice Arithmancy, Potions and Runes. Also she had her books to read so they would stop her from going insane.

Speaking of books; now she could read the books she had received from the mysterious TMR as a Christmas present. Though she'd been dying to read them, she hadn't touched them whilst at Hogwarts. She knew that they were illegal and she didn't want to risk anyone finding them. Accidents did happen.

Now though, nothing could stop her from reading them. She knew she couldn't do magic but nothing was stopping her from picking up a stick from the ground to practice wand movements and when she went back to Hogwarts, she would be able to use a real wand.

However that wasn't all she did. Being the girl-who-lived and being sorted into slytherin made things more difficult than they needed to be. On one hand, she didn't give a damn, she'd always liked challenges but this future Dark Lady crap was getting on her last nerve. She could do nothing without having half of Hogwarts following her every move with distrust. They followed her because of who she was but with distrust because she was a slytherin.

Considering neither of the factors could change, she had to find a way to alter the people's perceptions.

What she planned on doing was risky, she knew that. Some consequences would be bothersome but if things went the way she wanted then the advantages would outweigh the disadvantages. Of course there was no guarantee that her plan would work. Sometimes you've gotta take risks.

A few days after Calliope had made her final decision on what she would do, she received an opportunity to put her plan into action.

She was in her room at the orphanage waiting for the matron to do her rounds when she heard tapping at her window.

Curious she looked over and saw an owl sitting on the windowsill. If she didn't see the letter then she would have assumed it to be an ordinary owl. Shaking her head, she got up and went to open the window. Calliope still found this way of post strange, even if it was effective.

The owl came inside as soon as the window opened and landed on her bed, sticking out the leg holding the letter.  Taking the letter, she looked at the bird; she could have sworn she'd seen it somewhere before.

"I assume that you are waiting for an answer seeing as you're still here?" Calliope asked, keeping her eye on the bird. When it hooted and got into a more comfortable position, Calliope shook her head; it couldn't be normal how smart those birds were.

Focusing on her letter, she read.

'Dear calliope, I know we didn't plan anything whilst we were still in school but I was wondering if you wanted to spend the rest of the summer with me? We could invite the others to join us but if I'm not mistaken Blaise and Theo are out of the country until August, so I think they might come when they are back. Send your answer back with Aries and, if you want to, we can meet at ten at the leaky cauldron. However, if a different time or day is better, I'm sure it can be arranged. Hope to see you soon, Draco Malfoy'

A small smile appeared on Calliopes face when she finished the letter. She could finally see the famous Malfoy library and she'd be away from the orphanage.

Quickly she wrote an affirmative response and gave it to Aries. The next moment the bird took flight and Calliope closed the window behind the owl. She sat back on her bed and began to read, now all she had to do was inform the matron that she was leaving.

Just over half an hour later, Calliope heard a knock on her door.

"Come in." She said, lifting her head from the book she was reading. Just as she was expecting, mrs Cole's head appeared at the door.

"Good evening, Mrs Cole"

"Good evening Calliope. Lights out in half an hour." She told her, just like every other night.

Calliope nodded, though she called the matron before she could completely disappear. The astonishment on her face was plain to see. Calliope generally avoided conversation with anyone in the orphanage.

"Yes?" She asked. Calliope could see the fear on her face. She found it odd that Mrs Cole would fear her so much without knowing what she did.

"I shall be leaving tomorrow"

"What?"

"I said I shall be leaving tomorrow"

"I heard what you said but I am responsible for you. You cant just leave"

Calliope withheld a sigh, she hoped that she would be allowed to simply go, considering how much she was feared.

"Mrs Cole, lets be honest. I hate being here and you hate having me her. Wouldn't it be best for everyone if you just let me leave?"

Several emotions flickered over Mrs Coles face. It became clear that her sense of responsibility was trying to win but humans lived on their own desires and Mrs Cole was no exception.

"Very well."

"I will see you next year Mrs Cole"

The matron nodded and closed the door. She was free from the muggles. With that in mind, she packed her belongings back into her trunk and went to sleep.