Chapter Seventeen- DADA

The class that Calliope was most fond of was Defense Against the Dark Arts (DADA). This was the first class that Callie had lots of questions for. She only hoped that the professor could answer them.

After the professor had finished with the register, Calliope raised her hand and said "Professor, I have a question"

Quirrell awas shocked that Calliope would even talk to him, after all the year had only just started. What questions could a first year possibly have?

"y-y-yes P-p-Potter?"

"how come this class is called 'Defense Against the Dark Arts?"

The gryffindors snorted and some slytherin looked at her as if she had grown a second head. Quirrell, however, stopped trembling, stood up straight and looked her straight in the eyes.

"Excuse me?"

Callie noticed the difference in the professors voice but she couldn't figure out why it was different. The voice seemed smoother, darker and deeper and there was the lack of stuttering.

"I asked why this class is called 'DADA' I've read our book repeatedly and the book doesn't teach much. Aside from a few hexes, jinxes and their counters. I'm assuming the counters are the defense part but if the spells aren't dark arts, how are we learning to defend against the dark arts. While we're at it who even decides what the dark arts are?"

By the time Calliope had finished everyone was looking at her with interest, including Quirrell. She waited patiently for the professor to answer. It took Quirrell a while to come around but when he did he answered with

"the ministry are the ones who decide what the dark arts are. I don't know why this subject is called 'DADA' the definitions of Dark Arts are varied. To most people they are spells that can hurt or kill someone."

"you have got to be kidding me! That is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. The stupidity displayed by some members of the wizarding world is ridiculous. When I first thought about Dark Arts, I assumed it was in relation to our magic but if its the ministry that decides then it's the worst thing I've ever heard of"

"Why do you think that?" Quirrell asked

"The ministry is made out of people. People fear what they don't understand and what they can't do. They can take any piece of magic and label it dark for no genuine reason"

The class flew by after that conversation but Calliope was nowehere near satisfied with the answers she had received. She had to find a way to get the information she needed. She was stuck inside her head that much, she didn't notice Quirrells eyes following her as she left.