Chapter Twelve- The Sorting

The great hall became silent in an instant, Callie had to contain her sigh. Being a celebrity was really starting to annoy her. With confident steps and no emotion, she approached the stool. There was no reason to show the others how nervous she actually was.

To most of those watching, Calliope looked like a perfect pureblood heir. She had a natural confidence that most old families tried to teach. Many people began to wonder if she was really raised by muggles.

Even though she was only Eleven, they couldn't deny that she was rather beautiful. Although the blank expression did give her quite a cold look, no one could deny the regal grace that she had.

She looked untouchable and some students couldn't contain their shivers.

The last thing Callie saw, before the hat was placed on her head, was the students trying to get a better look at her.

"hmmm... What do we have here?" Calliope assumed that this voice was the hat, "it's been years since I've encountered a mind like yours. Above average intelligence, talent and power. I've seen your courage but it's only when fighting for your views. I've seen your thirst for knowledge and how you manipulate what you know. Honestly, you would be a credit to any of our founders. Do you have a preference?"

She hadn't really thought about it to be honest. Callie didn't think it mattered, she could change what people thought of her later down the line but for now she would still wait and see. She would be satisfied as long as she was left alone. One way or another, she would enforce her rules.

"I see,"  the sorting hat said "taking all of that into consideration, I believe you would do well in... Slytherin!!"

She almost laughed when she saw the fear and curiosity in the eyes of those around her. Almost everyone in the orphanage looked at her the same way. It amused her greatly.

Callie turned from the stool and joined the house of green and silver. The whole school was silent. It seemed as if her sorting was expected to go a different way. She noticed that some of her house mates eyed her warily. Some even looked at her with something similar to hate.

She had to contain her sigh. It seemed as if some people were going to interfere with her wait and see attitude. At the end of the day it wouldn't matter but it did irritate her. She hated changing her plans for others.

The rest of the sorting went by with no problems and finally, the feast was beginning.

The students around Callie didn't bother to include her in any of the conversations but she didn't mind. She wasn't here to make friends.

Whilst she was eating, she had a very bad feeling. She felt like someone was watching her but every time she tried to find out who, no one was looking. It was very frustrating.

When the feast ended, Professor Dumbledore stood and addressed the student body.

"now that we're all settled in and sorted, I have a few start of term notices I wish to announce. First years please note that the Dark Forest is strictly Forbidden to all students. Also our caretaker, Mr Filch has asked me to remind you that the third floor corridor on the right hand side is put of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you!"

After singing a dreadful song, the headmaster said good night and the students were finally allowed to leave the great hall. Callow followed a girl from her house who was rounding up the first years.

They followed the castle corridors until they reached the dungeons. Upon reaching a certain wall, which looks just like every other wall, they stopped. The Girl turned and explained.

"here is the entrance to our common room. As you can see it looks like a simple wall but in the corner is a carving of a snake. To go in we have to say the password, which is changed every twenty eight days. When the password is changed, a piece of parchment will be on your bedside table. To see the new password you must touch the parchment with your wand and say the current password being used. Make sure you remember it because the parchment will destroy itself after four hours. Any questions?"

No one answered.

"Asphodel"

The wall moved aside and revealed the common room.