23

I woke up and looked around, my head pounded as I looked at the bottle of Tito's laying on the ground. I slapped Chloe's leg and she slowly got up too, it was almost two in the afternoon.

I grabbed my phone and saw I had a missed call from Axel. I texted him and explained I'd call him later and as I was about to stand up to go get food Collins waltzed in holding two large bags and a drink carrier.

"Collins to the rescue." He said semi quietly and he handed us each a bag from McDonald's and set down Advil on the nightstand and gave us both a large iced coffee. "How'd you know we were drinking?" I asked as he pick up the Tito's and set it on Chloe's dresser, "Have you two ever been quiet in your lives? I heard everything." He said and my blood stopped, "What exactly did we talk about?" I asked nonchalantly and he shrugged while walking over to the doorway. He put his hands on top of it and looked at me, "You know the usual. Movies, celebrities, school," he said as he pushed off the door way and started to walk into his room, "oh and me." He said before closing his bedroom door.

"You have got to be kidding me." I said letting my head fall into my hands. So now Collins knew I wasn't over him and that I was contemplating my relationship with Axel. "What am I going to do?" I asked Chloe and she sighed, "Eat?" She said and I laughed.

I grabbed the bag of food and we both began eating and we took the pain meds. Eventually at around five pm I decided I should probably head home. I asked Axel if we would meet me there and he did so, I walked up to my front door and he was already standing there waiting for me. He had a dozen roses in his hand and I smiled, my heart sinking slightly.

"You're so sweet." I said smiling and I brought him inside and put the flowers in a vase on the kitchen counter. I led him to the couch and we sat down, "Axel you know I love you," I said pausing and his smile slowly faded as he nodded, "but I think we need to break up." I said bluntly and he stared at me blankly for a moment. I took the silence as a sign to explain, "Our relationship began so fast after my separation from Collins and I don't think I ever had time to heal on my own and completely get over him. Seeing him last night confused me, a lot and I would never want to waste your time or effort if I wasn't giving you my entire dedication." I explained and he nodded understandably.

He was silent for a few moments until he finally sighed and looked from the ground to my eyes, "I understand and I still care about you a lot. Thank you for doing the mature thing, Nadia. Friends?" He asked smiling and I could tell he genuinely meant it, "Friends." I agreed, reassuring him.

"Well this friend is hungry so want to go grab food?" He asked while point to himself and I nodded. I grabbed my keys and we took my car to a small cafe down the road.

We talked like nothing had changed because he was still one of my best friends, we joked about people in the cafe and whined about school starting again soon since our winter break was almost over.

"Well since you probably won't be spending Christmas with me, here's your gift early." Axel said once we got back to the house. He opened the trunk of his car and handed me a small but long black box. I untied the ribbon that was wrapped around it and opened it, it was a simple silver necklace that had one long rectangular prism pendant on it. One each side there were different engravings. On one side there were coordinates that was the location we first said I love you, the next was our initials, then the date we met, and last side said 'dreams do come true'.

I looked at him with tears in my eyes and hugged him, "That's so sweet." I said and he shrugged, "A little awkward now but it's the thought that's counts right?" He said and I smiled and let go of him, I stills put it on and he smiled. "The silver looks good against your skin tone." He complimented and I gently kissed his cheek, "Thank you." I said and he nodded.

"I better get going, I told the girls I'd tell them a bed time story." He said as he walked to his car door. "Text me when you get home safe." I said and he nodded and got in his car.

I walked up to my front door and waved as he drove away. I walked in and touched the pendant that hung around my neck and, finally, broke down crying.

Did I just make a mistake?