Chapter 12

Song: Should I Stay or Should I Go

Artist: The Clash

Chapter 12

There were rare moments when Octavia liked Eirene. She didn't like the thought of having a new mother but appreciated her talks since they were the only two women in the house. She used what Eirene and Mr Redrum said to come up with a plan. Yet it was one she couldn't carry out all by herself.

After dinner, Dustin finally cornered her and asked about the previous night. Octavia knew she had to tell him some time but waited until they left for the gym. They met Frederic and Wahid and she told them everything. Dustin remained silent, his mind filled with doubt and guilt. Wahid warned her, then stopped and cursed out how he'd make them pay. Frederic didn't know what to say.

Octavia told them about the plan she had. The next day, she walked around the school and spoke to people at Vega Front High. On the way, she found Nina, who ran the school magazine. Nina finally had her t-shirt cleaned in-exchange for a story. Except the story, Octavia wanted to tell, didn't contain Tyson Chapman but a certain lead singer of Saint Beaurage's favourite band. Nina conjured up a draft by the end of the day and handed it to Octavia before she put it through the editor. She had the final word because this was her story.

There weren't many places in town that Bechett had to be at after school. While Wahid was at practice and Frederic at Robotics Club, Dustin and Octavia drove around in search of the Plymouth. It wasn't long until they found it at On Stage. They parked around the corner and waited for Frederic and Wahid.

When they arrived, Octavia got out of the car and marched right in with the three behind her. She meant business. Dustin carried the folder with enough proof to put Loyal Contingent's lead singer to shame. She clipped her bangs to the side to seem more sophisticated and tucked in her floral blouse. When they entered the room, the band was in the middle of a song, Octavia remembered the tune when Bechett announced it as Careful with That Heart.

Bechett had his right hand bandaged and held a microphone in his left. He sang with his eyes closed, and hair stuck to his forehead. Something told him to open his eyes, and when he did, he didn't expect to see Octavia Mora in the middle of their band practice. Lochlan and Ezekiel stood from their table, but Octavia raised her arms in surrender.

'Stop, stop, stop!' Bechett told his bandmates, then jumped off the stage. He gripped the mic as the events of Sunday night entered his mind. Octavia didn't seem intimidated by him anymore, especially when he tried to get up in her personal space, but Wahid stepped in front of her. 'The fuck do you want? Here to break my other hand? Steal my car again?'

'I didn't purposely break your hand, and you left me no choice but to take your car.' She shrugged and walked to the centre of the room where she found a round table. Wahid and Dustin stood on her left while Frederic sat on her right. 'You were really gonna drive? While you're high? Where would we have gone?'

Bechett said nothing and instead dragged a chair from another table. He placed it in front of Octavia and sat. Ezekiel and Lochlan stood on either side of him. The rest of Loyal Contingent took up a booth nearby and watched.

'I'm not here to apologise, I felt bad but... I don't wanna apologise.' She crossed her leg over the other and watched Bechett's eyebrows slant. 'I'm here to offer a deal.'

'What the fuck is this?' Bechett laughed. 'I thought you wanted to fuck, I asked and since I was late, I just sped up the process.'

'I didn't want to or knew you wanted to, I was hungry and just wanted to hang out.' She gritted her teeth to suppress the annoyance in her voice. 'I asked around and I'm not the first chick you get with, some just wanna hang out, you know? Also, I've asked some guys, since you hooked up with their girlfriends and they're pissed too.'