Chapter 21

Song: Stupid Cupid

Artist: Connie Francis

Chapter 21

Eirene insisted on going all out for Cressida's party. No one in Octavia's family knew about her and Ezekiel. Eirene and Dustin had their suspicions, but remained silent. Partially, because he was the only thing that seemed to make her happy at the time. They'd do anything to keep that going.

 Ezekiel arrived Saturday at noon for the costume change and once they left the house, they looked like a hip fifties couple.

They decorated Kings in everything sparkles. From the shimmery entrance to the glittery tables. They brought the old jukebox out where Teresa and Frederic worked it. 

It surprised Octavia to see her friend dressed as a greaser from The Outsiders. He rolled the ends of his white oversized shirt and loose jeans. He stuck with a pair of Chucks and his original tattered curls. Teresa was in the 1920s with her sequin flapper dress and headband with a white feather. She turned as the couple approached, and her sharp brows rose.

'Wow, I'd say you two are the best-dressed couple but they top the cake.' Teresa pointed at the bar where Bechett and Doe sipped their drinks.

 They were unrecognizable from the first glance. Their black, dark, grungy appearances were replaced with Doe in a button-up shirt tucked into a pair of shorts and brown sandals. She added a brown beret to add colour against her red hair. Bechett seemed far different in his tucked-in golf shirt and khakis that looked a size too big for him.

'That's commitment,' Octavia said. 'They look so out of the ordinary though. I miss the black.'

'Well, Cressida said she wants everyone to dress up.' Frederic gave Octavia and Ezekiel a once-over, then nodded in approval. 

Octavia tilted her head and thought if they were a little off, how ridiculous he would've been. One thing, she hated dresses but went along with it because it was a circle dress and she always wanted to try the look. Ezekiel matched in a red bomber jacket, dark blue jeans and black shoes. His hair combed back and gelled to give it a shine.

Once Teresa got the jukebox working, everyone gathered to the centre and danced. Roll Over Beethoven by The Beatles livened up the party. More people came and mixed into the crowd. Dancing of all eras, Lochlan with combed hair, a denim jacket and patterned trousers. Sasha in a monochrome blouse and white disco pants.

At the snack table, Boden covered a marshmallow in chocolate from the fountain. His gold watch caught Octavia's eye. His Hawaiian shirt and black jeans made him a mystery. She approached him, but kept her eyes on the table for any iced coffee. She doubted Cressida would have after she called her out on it.

'I see you cleaned up nicely, anyone here catch your eye?'

'Boden, get over here!' Zuri swayed her hips in white flare pants to Whip It by DEVO. She had a matching white crop top that tied under her breast. Her red boots thumped every time she jumped to the beat. Octavia waved at Zuri, then turned back to Boden.

'No, no, Zuri is like Hayden... a sister, except she's annoying and makes me do stuff I don't want to do.'

'She makes you do stuff that you're too busy reading to miss out on.'

'Leave my books alone.' He popped the marshmallow in his mouth, then gave her a sideways glance. 'Are you okay? From the other day with Cressida. I didn't think you'd show.'