Chapter 25

Song: The Love Club

Artist: Lorde

Chapter 25

Octavia had to do this alone. She couldn't have Frederic there as a distraction. It surprised her when Tyson let her into the house. He was still upset but one mention of something to do with Hayden opened the door. Ricky and Ruddy sat on the sofas and looked up at her with warm smiles. Tyson told them to go upstairs. When they left, Octavia was sure they wouldn't be disturbed.

The entire story spilled out of her within seconds. She left Amara's name out but introduced him to her brother, Nikolai. She even showed him a photo in case he'd ever seen him. It was a stretch, but a chance. Neither of them sat down, Tyson paced in front of the sofas while she spoke. She remained in her spot near the front door in case all else failed.

When she brought up Reagan, that's when he began to half-listen. His eyebrows pulled together, snarl almost reached his nose, and he scoffed whenever Reagan wasn't accused.

'Octavia, you know nothing... you just got here, like what? A few months ago?' Tyson stopped pacing and clenched his fists. Only the sofas separated them.

'Yes, but you know Reagan and he'd never do something like that. The fact that there's no actual evidence pointing to it and that Hayden denied it, but you want to believe it. You were so quick to judge... to change. How could you ever do that to a person?'

'Now, I'm the bad guy?' Tyson raised his voice, then pointed at her phone. 'If all of this is true, then your brother is to blame. He's the one who started all this shit. Now he can't even wake up to own up to it.'

Octavia stepped back and raised her chin. It was her turn to tighten her fists, and Tyson blinked when he saw how white her knuckles went. She didn't expect her voice to wobble when she opened her mouth. 

'Take that back. That's my brother you're talking about.'

'You take back all the bullshit you said.' Tyson raised his head at the door. 'Get out.'

'It's true! Why would I lie about our sib—'

'Get out, Octavia!' he walked around the sofas and she quickly stepped back. Her back hit the door, and she fumbled for the doorknob, yanked it open, then ran out.

Octavia stopped running once she reached the sidewalk to catch her breath. She leaned on her knees and stared at the ground. Her sharp intakes would've turned into screams if she didn't stop. She calmed down and allowed herself to breathe. She sat on the sidewalk and watched her house.

 The lights were on and all the cars were there. But she didn't want to be there. It was the last place she wanted to go right now. She finally figured out what happened and didn't know what to do with it. Had her father known? If Tyson didn't know or believed her, then his father wouldn't have too. It didn't make her feel contempt at all because she still didn't know one thing. Who was the other driver?

She sent Ezekiel a text and lucky enough; he was still at Reagan's house. He cycled to hers and arrived ten minutes later. He hadn't seen her yet and parked his bicycle in front of her gate. When he took off his helmet, she watched and lust over how he shook out his brown locks. It had to be her favourite feature on him. She could run her fingers through them all day and hoped he enjoyed it.

'Hey.' Ezekiel turned with a jump but gave her a warm smile. She stood up, and as she approached him, he noticed her frown. She shook her head and pointed at the stretch of road. 'Can we go for a walk?'