Chapter 26

Song: Runaway

Artist: AURORA

Chapter 26

The first thing they did once the train left was sleep. Octavia had a cabin all to herself with a bunk bed and table below it. Wahid and Frederic shared a cabin a few away from her. They had breakfast before arriving in the first town. They ate most meals in the dining car, or they'd explore cafes and restaurants. 

Their train disembarked in a town for half the day where they explored the beaches. Even though it wasn't Octavia's favourite place, it was nice to sit and read her Psychology class book while Frederic and Wahid went for a swim. The only time they stopped was for food, rest or to give Wahid space while he prayed.

In the next town, there were a few tourist attractions, and they travelled with most of the people from the train. An old couple who travelled the same route once a year to experience their youthful moments all over again. A family with three kids that came for the water parks and food. 

No one questioned the three teenagers because they assumed they were old enough and were celebrating their final summer before college. No one knew that the girl ran away from home and brought along her two closest friends.

On the third day of travelling, Wahid prayed in the morning and Frederic stayed up so they could discuss the next few days. Whenever they brought it up with Octavia, she shrugged them off and went with the flow. 

Frederic noticed she barely used her phone while they received text messages and calls from Saint Beaurage. They were sure their parents found out they weren't at each other's houses. Instead, they were three towns over and were about to arrive at their fourth.

They met up with Octavia for breakfast at their usual booth. She sat by the window and smiled up at them as they approached. Her smile faulted when Frederic sat next to Wahid. Wahid loved to sit alone and look straight at them.

'Hey, guys. What's up?' She watched Frederic, who couldn't look at her while Wahid eyed the service attendant who brought their food. They all settled on an English breakfast with Wahid having extra beans and eggs since he didn't take any sausages or bacon. Octavia settled on coffee while the other two had orange juice.

Once they dove into their food along with everyone else, Wahid cleared his throat, 'Listen, Octavia, it's been fun these past few days, but our parents might've figured out we lied to them. They're worried sick and I don't like to worry my mother a lot.'

'Yeah, my dad barely noticed but was suspicious because we haven't been showing up to work.' Frederic rolled his eyes. 'What about your parents? Isn't your dad strict?'

'I don't know. I haven't checked my phone.'

'What? How can you not check your phone?'

'Easy, just turn it off.' She winked at them, but neither of them found it humorous. She sighed and set down her cutlery. 

'Okay, I haven't been totally honest with you guys. That night Ezekiel and I got into an argument and we... I don't know, broke up? Took a break? Whatever. Then I got home and found out we're moving... again. I didn't want to, so I... ran away.'

'You what?' Wahid choked on his juice. 

Everyone turned in their seats, and watched Frederic hit his friend's back while he coughed. Octavia looked around. She smiled and dismissed the service attendant before she got to them. When Wahid finally regained himself, he let out a sigh and stared at her.