Chapter 17

Song: When The Night Is Over

Artist: Lord Huron

Chapter 17

The night of the sleepover, Octavia and Dustin ran about getting things ready. She'd settle for the basement because Ezekiel finally started painting in the pool house. Grandpa Mora confirmed the drafts. Then it struck the artist with inspiration. She didn't want to take that away or disturb his work.

She took the big pie out of the oven while Dustin stirred a brownie mix with a scowl. All the food he cooked had to be vegan-friendly since Cressida Perkins brought up dietary requirements when she was invited. Octavia had no choice but didn't give her the victory. Everyone's salvation would arrive soon.

Dustin turned to see Octavia inspecting the zucchini pie. She never tried it, but was curious what it'd taste like. She sensed her butler's gaze on her and turned with a raised brow. Dustin shook his head.

 'I kan't remember the last time I helped prepare a sleepover for you. I've done more Nikolai's guys nights than your girls' night. I'm glad you're enjoying it here and making friends. Eirene and your father were vorried at first.'

Octavia said nothing, but smiled. She hated keeping things from Dustin. Most of the girls invited tonight she wasn't close with and it surprised her when they all accepted the invite. There was one goal to reach tonight, and that was to get information. Dustin couldn't know otherwise he'd stop her. She'd learnt from the past when she tried to find out what happened. She didn't care if the truth hurt; it was something she needed to know.

The doorbell rang before either of them got out another word. Before Dustin had the chance to wipe his hands, Octavia was already ahead and walked out through the first door. While she approached the glass door, it surprised her to see Doe here first.

'I'm leaving my girl in your hands, Mora. Don't make me regret it.' Bechett almost jabbed her in the face, then turned to Doe, who clutched a pillow to her chest. 'All right, babe. Call me if you need anything and... have fun.'

Octavia leaned on the doorframe and watched when they kissed. She thought it'd be a peck but Bechett cupped Doe's cheek and she reached up and pushed the hair out of his face to takeover. Octavia cleared her throat before his hands reached somewhere she didn't want to see. They pulled apart, and Doe's face was as red as her hair.

Dustin waved at Doe, then retreated to his duties in the kitchen. For a while, the two girls sat in silence. Doe's eyes wandered about while she picked at her grey nails. 'This is my first sleepover.'

'Me too, well I wouldn't count the ones I had with cousins,' Octavia sighed in relief that she wasn't the only newbie in this. 'Is that why Bechett was so... protective?'

'Yeah, that and he still has to warm up to you more after the articles,' Doe chuckled. 'I told him to just deal with it. Loyal Contingent wasn't mentioned so he'll get over it. Plus, I like you.'

Octavia didn't know what to say and ended up smiling. She wanted to say the same thing, but thought it'd be weird. At first, when she looked at Doe, she seemed mean, but she was a girl who had her head on straight. 

Her curvy figure and dark clothes added more to the mystery, but then she realised there was none. She was simply a girl in love who loved to dance. A girl who must've spent most of her time with Bechett, Ezekiel and Lochlan. She wasn't one for shopping or sleepovers. Most of her clothes were thrifted or either Bechett's that she wore.

Nina, Sasha and Zuri arrived, and Octavia was happy to find that Zuri welcomed Doe quickly. Dustin left after he took the brownies out of the oven and called it a night. Octavia sighed because she didn't want Cressida to order her butler around when she arrived.