25

The moon was now high in the sky as Caden and Az peered into the window enjoying the comforting silence in each other's embrace. They sat in Caden's bed after the long and draining day.

Novak had given back the control to Az after the confrontation of Lyla, which had been a massive shock for everyone in the pack when they learned the truth.

Caden had ordered for Tom and Lyla to be taken to the infirmary to be checked on and then asked Tom to take care of his mate and that she would be given a place in the pack which brought a tearful chain of 'thank you' from Tom. Lyla was still weak from the strain on her mental state but was physically much better. They could only hope that she would be able to cope and would get the care and love she needed from her mate.

Caden stroked Az's hair as he planted soft kisses on his hair embracing the moment they shared, so much had happened today and he was so grateful for having Az as his mate, he couldn't even imagine what would have happened if Az had not been there. But then again there was the fear creeping in, he knew Az was the 'cursed bearer' and that a battle was fast approaching, he was scared if he wasn't enough to protect his mate.

What if I lose him, I wasn't even able to protect my Dad today against a Hunter how will I be able to protect him against a stronger wolf? What if Az is unable to win the battle? What if.....Caden train of thoughts was cut short by a shake on his shoulders.

"What are thinking about? Your aura is in distress."Az said as he squeezed Caden's hand in his.

"Az...I'm scared I don't know how you can be so strong but it kills me even to think about anything going wrong with you. You already know that a battle is bound to happen in the near future, I don't know if I'll be strong enough to stand beside you. I can't lose you AZ I love you....It creeps me out thinking about how fucked up fate is to have set such massive obstacles in our lives and I can't even wrap my head around how calm you are when you know that you're the carrier of the legacy..."Caden rambled his thoughts.

Az planted a soft kiss on Caden's lips to stop his rambling and to calm him down. He turned around and wrapped his hands around Caden gently rubbing his back in soothing motions. He held his mate in his warm embrace until he felt Caden's heart beat normalize and his breathing calmed down. They stayed in that embrace for what felt like eternity simply letting their heartbeats do the talking. The sparks that coursed through them from their mate bond passed on their emotions of love and affection, of longing and of comfort, in that moment, in that embrace they knew they were at home, and both of them feared what the future held for them.

"You know Caden, I won't lie I'm scared too...there's this voice inside me that speaks of things I am yet to understand, there's the fact that I bear the fragments of the first Royal Wolf, there's the fact that my family got attacked today because of me, that I'm supposed to carry the weight of a legacy forged long ago, the fear that I might not be strong enough to be able to carry it through even though I'm yet to fully understand it myself....Then the sheer shock of the things that me and Novak can suddenly do, I live in constant fear of not knowing what is about to happen next....I already lost everything once before and somehow I found my home again here in Durwood Pack with you....I'm scared that I might lose it all too..."Az poured his heart out and it was then Caden could see the raw emotions that Az hid deeply within him. Caden could see the tears forming in Az eyes that shone in the moonlight. In that moment Az poured his heart out, Caden could see the vulnerability and raw fear that he did not sense in his mate before.

Caden had always thought that his mate was amazing in what he could do, every new thing they discovered about him had only intrigued him even more. He was in awe of mate, the power he held the presence he made, the abilities he had, the beauty of him and his wolf, the strength Az possessed, the authority Novak had....maybe in all these qualities about his mate Caden had somehow overlooked the fact that his mate was too another teenager like him, that Az was another young adult in the making, that he too had problems and dealt with the same myriad of emotions like himself.