Chapter 4

A/N: This chapter is very long. But I think imma do that from now on.

The palace was dark. The entrance was heavily guarded by regular guards but luckily not the Dai Li agents.

It was Bumi, Tenzin, Mako, Bolin, Korra, Jinora and I who were retrieving the airbenders from the Earth Queen. As Jinora created the distraction, we were right behind the guard and ready to knock them out. Luckily, it was easy as pie and nothing went too wrong. It was like no one even noticed. We stealthily snuck into the prison-like building and hid behind a stairwell.

"Bumi, Korra and Ryujin, you three will come with me to find the airbenders," Tenzin quietly said, "You three find Kai," referring to Mako, Bolin and Jinora. We all nodded in agreement. "We'll meet on the surface shortly," the tattooed air bender said, "Radio us if anything goes wrong." We all nodded again and went our separate paths.

I follow Tenzin and the others down deeper into the prison. As we searched for the airbenders, we came across a sleeping chamber. As the door opened, the imprisoned airbenders were found. "What's going on," one of them asked, "Who are you?" The shakiness in his voice almost broke my heart. Who knows what they have been through here? Especially since the Dai Li agents are so corrupted. But now wasn't the time to be scared or vulnerable. We're here to save the air benders.

Once Korra introduced herself as the avatar, many questions arose from the multiple airbenders all around. "Where are we going? Where are we leaving to? We're finally leaving?" Questions similar to those bounced around the room quietly. "They must've been aware of what would happened if a Dai Li agent were to hear them," I thought, thinking about the consequences they would face, "no wonder the low voices."

"Everyone please, we must stay calm and quiet if we want this to work," Tenzin announced to the whole room. It seemed like one of the air benders wasn't so quick to notice the atmosphere. "Of course we're sneaking out," I said to myself in my head but I nodded at the male. "We're going to get you away from the Earth Queen and out of the city," Tenzin responded.

We all quickly escorted all the air benders from their sleeping chambers and out. As we exited the building, Korra checked around for surveillance. "Come on, it's clear," she said and ran. We all did the same but unlucky for us, there were Dai Li agents all around. "This isn't too good," I thought to myself as I got into a fighting stance. The Dai Li agents moved like synchronized swimmers. It was quite creepy to be honest with their green and black get up. It was very menacing. One of the agents moved to the side, revealing the Earth Queen. "So you discovered my elite army," she said to us, "I see their loyalty still needs some work." Korra rebutted, "These airbenders shouldn't be used as weapons. They have a right to choose their own path." The Earth Queen began walking towards us but stopped midway. As she was walking, I couldn't focus on the words she was saying. All I could focus on was burning her face off and watch it melt in front of me. But suddenly, the Dai Li attacked. Their rock hands came towards our direction but before we could attack, the airbenders quickly defended us. A huge gust of wind was being produced. It was hard to see but I knew it was from the airbenders. It was quite a sight to see. It was so brilliant. It like this is what Harmonic Convergence wanted. It felt balanced.

I quickly rushed over to Bumi and helped the other benders make their way to the air ship. One by one, the gust of air began to die down as each air bender boarded the air ship. I stayed with Tenzin and Korra as I blasted each agent with a blast of fire produced from my own hands. My mind was only on blasting the agents and the agents only. It was my only way to do my job, to protect the avatar.

I heard a whistle from my right side. "Oogi," Tenzin exclaimed. The flying bison came around and we all got onto it. "What about the others," I quickly asked them. "Where are the others," Korra openly asked. From down below, I could hear a cracked voice saying, "We need help!" I looked down to see Mako, Bolin, Jinora and I'm going to guess that other kid is Kai. As they were running away from the Dai Li agents, the agents didn't hesitate to shoot. Neither did I.

I quickly stood up from my spot and headed to the back of the bison. I began to shoot fire at the agents, one by one. Each fell backwards and the attack on the four were minimizing. Eventually, Bolin pushed them all into the air and they were all flying towards us. As I looked, I could see Mako fly towards me. "I got you," I exclaimed. He flew into my arms and I held him tightly in my clutches. As I held him, a quick vision popped up in my brain. It felt like a lost memory. I quickly snapped out of it when Mako tapped me. "You're kind of. Hurting me," he winced in pain. "Sorry," I quickly said and let go. Mako regained his composure and aided to his brother.

We landed somewhere far from the kingdom yet safe from any threats. Tenzin and Korra gathered all the airbenders while I stayed away from them. I walked towards the others and stood afar, watching the little meeting. "So Ryuuuuujin," Bolin said, dragging out my name, "So is there any beans to spill about Mako?" Mako quickly turned his head to his brother and glared at him. "No need to ask silly questions Bolin," he quickly defended himself, "besides there isn't much to spill anyways." I chuckled quietly and argued, "well you are quite dense." Mako was taken aback and looked completed lost. "Dense? What do you mean dense?" From behind him, I could see Asami holding in a laugh. "I think you're more dense than you used to be," she added to the conversation. Mako just faced forward and didn't bother to say anything. "But I can't blame the girls," I said to him hoping to make him feel better, "they do claim you have a nice face and I think you do." I could see a tinted red on his cheeks but I didn't think too much about it. "Look at Mako," Bolin pointed out and teased, "I think he's catching feelings again." I giggled and thought to myself, "again? Maybe he's just getting feelings again since his last girlfriend maybe?" Asami couldn't help but chuckle as well.

Korra began walking towards us and waved. "Hey guys," she greeted, "and thank you for helping us find the air benders," she looked at me and smiled. "It is my duty to protect you," I politely said to her. "I don't think I need much protection," she rebutted, "besides I'm the Avatar. What harm can come to me?" Out of nowhere, Lin butts in and says, "Zaheer." We all looked at her. Everyone else seemed confused but I wasn't. I was up to date with the case. "Get on the air ship," she commanded, "I'll talk about it more there."

We all aboard the air ship quickly and just like that we were off. "Zaheer, along with his posse, are working to eliminate the avatar. They have a very anarchist way of thinking and belief. He poses as a major threat to all people in power." "WOW this guy sounds really bad," Bolin exaggerates. "Well he isn't wrong," I intervene, "We must be on the look out for him. I've read up on him and it seems that he has come close before." From behind, I saw the door crack open. I could see everyone ready their positions but I looked down to see Rina. Bolin's fire ferret quickly jumped down to Rina and plays with her like they were familiar with each other. "I guess that's nice," Mako said to Bolin, "I mean I always knew Pabu was a nice boy so." Lin dismissed us and we all went back to our seats. I sat down on one of the benches, reading a book when suddenly Mako slumps by me.

"So what are you reading," he asks. "This book called 'The Jade Rabbit'," I said to him, "It was the last thing I had when I was abandoned." Mako looked defeated and sadden. "Yea," he said sadly, "I'm sorry about that." Noticing his expression, I asked, "What's wrong?" He shook his head like he was shaking off the question, "it's nothing important really. Do you mind if I could examine this book?" I shrugged and handed the book to him. He turned to the front pages to see the characters, "馬 (Ma), 愽 (Bo), 龍 (Ryu)". He smiled slightly and said, "it's still here." I asked him, "what's still here?" "My initials on the book." My eyes quickly went wide as I apologized to him frantically. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to steal it, I'll pay you just te-," then he interrupted, "it's fine, don't worry about it," he laughs. He rubs my head in a familiar way.

"Just think of it as my gratitude for saving me," he smiles and hands me the book.

A/N: That was very sweet of Mako. So does Ryujin know that she also owns the book?