Chapter 17

A/N: Mako Pogchamp

MAKO POV

I was left alone to ponder in my thoughts, reminiscing about the past.
-
"Mako," Ryujin exclaimed as she ran towards an open area, "Throw it over here!"

Bolin was rushing towards Ryujin, trying to block her from the ball. But luckily, I threw it in time just for her to catch it, reaching the goal. "Good Job Mako," she excitedly ran towards me, giving me a high five. I see Bolin on the ground, catching his breath like it was his last. "Y...you...you guys...are too...fast," Bolin huffed out as he was rolling on the grass, back and forth, "This match...wasn't fair." Both, Ryujin and I, help grab Bolin up from the grass and stood him up. "Thanks," he said as he patted away all the grass from his shirt and pants. As I helped Bolin, I quickly glanced at Ryujin, catching her eyes looking at me as I did so. I revert my eyes back to my brother. I felt a faint blush appeared on my face so I did into my scarf.

"Hey look," Ryujin said as she noticed a halibut stand. She looked at us and then her stomach and frowned. "Are you guys hungry," she asked, turning her head to us with a despaired look on her face. "We'll have to get something cheaper," I said to them, "It's impossible to steal from this stand out in the open like this. And besides, Ryujin can just feed us from her room." Her full body turned and nodded at my remark. "But, you would have to sneak in." There was defeat behind her tone but this was common. Shady Shin didn't allow anyone to enter Ryujin's room—let alone Shady Shin. It was always her room and her room only. "I don't know why you guys can't come," she rhetorically questioned us, "You guys get paid to literally watch me. And it doesn't even make sense" she pouted. "Ryujin," Bolin called out to her, full of guilt, "We don't have to if you don't want us to." "No," she snapped to Bolin, "You will be fed." Bolin looked at me with terror in his eyes but I just shrugged at him. "Oh hey," her toned changed to a more relieved one, "I have enough money to pay for all of us." A smile curled upon her face as she walked up to the stand alone.

I sat on the ground and Bolin followed right after.

"You like her don't you?"

"What? No!"

"Yes, you do."

I rolled my eyes at my brother and ignored his comment. "You can't just ignore me," Bolin said to me, "I know you like her. I saw you blushing." "No you didn't," I snapped back slightly, "And even if I did, I would've hid in my scarf." "YOU DID THAT," Bolin yelled. My eyes went wide as I side eye him for yelling. I see Ryujin turn back to us, confused. I shrugged and waved at her and she gave a nod, turning back to the cashier at the stand. "Ryujin is almost done getting the food, act like this conversation didn't happen," I snarled at him. He grunted and crossed his arms, "But just know that I'm right." I rolled my eye once again and focused myself onto Ryujin.

I watch her pay, grab the food and walk back to us from where I sat. Once she arrived, she placed the sauces down onto the grass and handed us two skewers of the halibut meat. "Thankyouthankyouthankyou," my brother frantically said as he received the skewers from her, "We've been eating nothing but trash for the past days." "If you've said that beforehand then I would've gotten you guys food. I forgot I had my wallet with me but I can always pay. Besides, a lot of the business owners here are scared of me but I don't know why." I could know why.

Ryujin happily ate the halibut as well as Bolin. I couldn't help but feel guilty as I ate the food she bought. I made me feel less of a man. It was my responsibility to protect and provide for her. Her paying made me feel like she didn't need me.
-
I felt a light push from behind me.

"Mako!"

I was too immersed in my thoughts.

"Hey Mako!"

I snapped out of my daydream from that one final push. "Bolin," I exclaimed as I turned my head to face him, "What are you doing here?" "It's lunch." Bolin seemed confused as he notified me. "You good? You seem very out of it today?" I didn't feel out of it at all. In fact, I was perfectly into it. "Y...ea," Bolin dragged out but quickly went back to his uppity attitude, "Ryujin invited us to eat out and she asked us where you were so Asami said you were here then I said that I'll go get you. We all nodded in sync and I also invited Opal which Ryujin was okay with then I.." "Okay Bolin, I get the gist."

We both walked to the group who were already outside of the house. "Hey guys," Asami waved to us, "Opal said she'd give us a tour of the city." "Isn't that great Mako," my brother asked me but I didn't respond. My eyes were on Ryujin the time we got there. She was talking to Korra the whole time. But I wonder what they were talking about. "Ma-," "Yea that's great," I brushed off. The whole time I was just admiring Ryujin's appearance, her posture, aura—her everything really. "So what's around to eat," Ryujin asked. I perked up at her voice and brought myself back to earth. "There's this Halibut restaurant near by that serve the best halibut skewers," Opal mentioned. "Oh! I love Halibut," Ryujin excitedly said as she clasped her hands together.

We boarded the train that took us into the city. As we rode, Korra and Ryujin kept conversing, leaving me to wonder what they were talking about. "Mako," a female voice called out to me, "Mako!" I turned my head to see Asami as she held my wallet, "You dropped this." She handed it to me and I took it from her then I began to stare back at the two. "Are you okay? You've been staring at those two for so long," she asked me, "Mako, are you...jealous?" My eyes went wide as I turned to face her. My face was in disbelief in what she said. "Me? Jealous? Could never," I quickly defended myself, "It's just...whenever Korra tells Ryujin something, Ryujin gets so quiet and ignores me. It's just...weird. It's so not normal because Ryujin would always talk to me." Asami put her hand on my shoulder, consoling me. "Ryujin does have slight amnesia, Mako. You can't expect her to bounce back right after she vaguely remember you," Asami explained to me. My lips curled into a slight frown as I heard Asami's reasoning. I knew she was right but I didn't want to accept it. "If you want to make a change, I suggest talking or sitting next to Ryujin." I knew what I had to do. I nodded courageously, like I was a strong protagonist, and headed to the two ladies.

"Hey Ryujin," I greeted, "Hi Korra." "Hey, Mako. Y'know, I have to go somewhere. I'll just leave you two to be." Korra instantly got up from her seat and dashed away from us, leaving me and Ryujin alone. I sat down next to her, relaxing all my muscles as I did so. "So, Halibut," I asked her, trying to make some sort of conversation. Her face was slowly flushing red as I sat here. "Yea, I like it," she quietly said.

We sat there in silence as the train traveled through the city.

A/N: I've been having huge writer's block so sorry for slow updates.