Chapter 9

A/N: Hello here's the update sorry for posting so late and the profile will not be up I apologize for that. I need to make a few adjustments to it and it'll be ready by the time I update again.

"I'm probably just nervous to hang out with someone," I comforted myself, "It's not like Mako likes me anyways, right," I asked my snow ferret like she could answer. All I got was a chirp from her as she stared at me with her very lifeless-like eyes. "I'm sorry for putting so much pressure on you," I said to her and pulled Rina into my embrace.

I change into my civilian clothing I had packed. It was a grey coat with blue lining along the seams. It was very stylish in my opinion but Varrick said otherwise. I put on my black pants that I've had since I was abandoned. It gives me a sense of identity before I lose my memory. Like it represented something from my past. Under my coat was my ruffled button up top—also from my past. These pieces of clothing felt like comfort and my pieces to my past. It made me feel at home.

Rina jumped onto my head and we exited my room. Out of nowhere, a guard shows up, bumping into me. "Ouch, Sorry," the guard said as his gear clanged against each other. "No it's okay," I said as I search for Rina whilst on the ground. She jumped off onto a nearby table. "Are you okay," he said as he offered his hand out to help me. I took it and replied, "Yea, I'm fine." I looked up to see a brunette boy with green eyes. "H-hi," he stuttered, "I-I'm D-Da Wei." "Why are you stuttering," I thought to myself as I examine the guard, "have some composure." I smiled and tilted my head slightly, "I'm Ryujin and I need to go," I said as quickly as I could. But he opened his mouth again, saying, "H-hey, are you free tonight?" "I'm pretty sure I'm free," I said to him watching his eyes, "but I have a duty to the Avatar so if something comes up then I wouldn't be free." His facial expression changed to a dumbfounded one as he scratched the back of his head. "Well, I was going to ask if you wanted to go out and eat. I could show you around," he suggested, looking behind me. I politely decline him and said, "No thank you." His facial expression was now overridden with a mix of fear and worry. I walked away from the guard and before I could leave, he stopped me again. "Okay, I'd have to admit, that was pretty forward. How about we take a walk in the park and a dinner?" That was basically the same thing but I wanted to humor him. "Okay sure," I said and walked away while rolling my eyes.

As I walked further down the hall, I see an agitated Mako laying against the wall. "You were just in a good mood earlier," I said to him while walking towards the fire bender. "It's nothing," he grumpily said. I began to think to myself, "was it because of that guard? The guard was quite suspicious as he kept looking back behind me as we talked." "Hey," I called out to Mako, trying to snap him out of his funk, "there was a guy who asked me out just now tonight and I want you to be there." Mako quickly jumped up and pointed to himself, "Me?" I nodded, "Yes you, he was very suspicious when talking to me. He kept looking behind me like there was somebody there." Mako interjected, "Well I saw Aiwei behind you when you guys were talking." I looked at him confused, "who's Aiwei?" "Oh, you weren't here but he basically greeted us and he's also a truth teller. But I'm not sure why they would communicate with each other." "Well," I said while a blush came onto my cheeks, "I trust you a lot and I want you to watch over me if something goes bad." I avoid eye contact with him by staring at his nose but from my peripheral vision, I could also see a tint of red from his cheeks as well. "I-I'll see what I can do," he stuttered. "Thank you," I said, reconnecting with his eyes once again.

Boom.

Crash.

"Woah what was that," I asked Mako. We both ran to a nearby window to see Chief and her sister, Suyin, in an all out earth bending fight. "Should we go hel-," I was about to finish before Mako interrupted me. "No, they're siblings and siblings fight." I chuckled at his remark, remembering something.
-
"Mako," Bolin yelled, "I'm gonna-," and he didn't even bother to finish his sentence. The earth bender threw a rock at the other boy.
-
"Have you and Bolin ever had fights like these before," I asked as we watch the show in front of us. While focused on the match, he nodded and said, "Yea, and you were there when it happened too." My eyes went wide as he mentioned me being there. "Could this man be the key to my past," I thought to myself as I focused on his specific words. "What do you mean I was there," I asked Mako. His eyes were in shock as he realized what he just said. "I- well- it's a long story. But I feel very bad for what I did back then," he apologized. "How am I suppose to know what he's sorry for if I can't remember," I thought to myself as I mentally rolled my eyes. "What happe-," I almost said until Varrick and his assistant, Zhu Li, came along.

"Ryujin," he yelled so quickly and loud, "I'm ygoing to need you to watch this and tell me. Well critique me," he clarified. He was dressed in this large metal suit with a wire hanging from the back of it. "Zhu Li! Do the thing," he exclaimed from the back of his throat. She plugged in the suit and only a few metals attached to his hand. "Pretty neat right," he asked me. I smiled hesitantly and backed away closer to Mako until I accidentally fell into his arms. "Sorry," I said and quickly bounced back onto my two feet. "N-no it's okay," he stuttered. Varrick eyed both Mako and I then finally came to his conclusion. "Are you two dating," he bluntly asked. "No no no," I quickly defended. "Uh no," Mako said as well, "we are just- uh- friends." I nodded and agreed with Mako. "Ugh, Varrick made it so awkward now," I thought to myself. I looked away from them and noticed the Chief has fainted. "Oh no," I whispered quietly and raced to the window. They all looked with me until Varrick said something insensitive. "Well, I mean, that's what she gets for putting me in jail. Y'know karma is a real thing." "Varrick," Mako exclaimed, "this isn't a time to be holding grudges." Varrick just shrugged and walked away while Zhu Li followed. "It seems like everyone else has it controlled," Mako pointed out, "We wouldn't have made it in time either." I agreed with his words and added, "I wonder what will happen. I hope she's fine."

"So, Mako," I said to him. He turned to face me.

"What did you mean that I was there when it happened?"

A/N: Dang, Mako exposed himself.