Chapter- 68

Sonakshi lay on the examination table and Dr. Jaya started to move the transducer on her tummy. Veena was standing beside Sonakshi watching the video display the fetus.

The images flashed on the screen of two fetus.. Sonakshi had tears with a smile.
'Mumma.. see.. babies..'

'Haan.. Sonakshi.. mein dekh rahi hu.. '
Veena caressed her head but her smile started to fade when she saw no smiling expression on Dr. Jaya's face.
Veena saw her and was getting skeptical.
It didn't take much time for Sonakshi to realise.

'Doctor? Baby's heartbeat... '

Dr. Jaya looked at Sonakshi, 'Sonakshi.. you can listen na..'

'But..'

'Ek hi..' said Sonakshi in a blunt tone..

Dr. Jaya squeezed her hand, 'Hey.. don't worry..'

'Aise kaise.. Mumma ye.. ek heartbeat.. ye..'
Sonakshi was getting hyper when Veena held her back.
'Beta.. aaram se..'

'Sonakshi, get up.. carefully.. mein samjhaati hu..'

Holding her shoulders, Veena and the doctor helped Sonakshi stand and then sit on the chair in the cabin. She clutched on Veena's arm.

'Doctor sab thik hai na.. mere babies..' she stammered.

'Sonakshi, this happens. Listen to me..'

Veena was tensed but kept holding Sonakshi's hand, rubbing it to calm her down.

Dr. Jaya continued.
'You heard one's heartbeat, haina. You know it's twins. So babies ke position change hote hai.. as in they roll, shift and here, they are almost on top and one below.. that's the possibility that we can't hear the heartbeat of other baby. Okay?'

The fear didn't vanish.
'What if the other one..'

'Hey hey.. Sonakshi.. see.. the position will change, that's slow but it happens.. most of the cases.. We can confirm, umm .. two days after? Another ultrasound..'

'Doctor.. ye kal..' Sonakshi gazed at Veena.

'Beta.. unhone kaha na do teen din.. hum aa jayenge.. don't worry ..'

Sonakshi's face was blank, she wasn't understanding anything.. she was only listening to what was being told .

'Sonakshi, keep calm. Don't panic, okay? Otherwise your health will be affected..'

Dr. Jaya squeezed her hand, assuring her to stay positive.
She gave the appointment of two days later.
Sonakshi nodded and with Veena's support, walked out.
The journey back was quiet. Sonakshi had kept her head on Veena's shoulder..
As they reached home. Veena asked Ajit to fill the plates and get for both of them.

'Sonakshi, beta.. chalo kha lo..'

'Mann nahi hai mumma..' she said placing a hand on abdomen with tears in eyes.

'Sonakshi.. don't cry beta.. chalo khao..' she wiped the tears.

'But..'