chapter thirty-six. house of descendants

☾ ☽

☾ ☽

            "This is all my fault." Eddie paces across the floor in his and Fabian's bedroom as Sibuna, excluding Alfie (who was in the kitchen making sandwiches when we got home), watches him. I'm holding my charm to my mouth, nervous about what's to come if the evil ones get their hands on the last piece of the puzzle—KT Rush. I'm still going to let them kidnap me in place of her if it comes down to it. "I should have listened to the others. Okay, here."

            As Eddie hands KT his phone, she asks, "What?"

            "Train schedule. You have to get out of here. Today."

            "KT," Fabian adds, "you're the descendant. You're the only thing that's stopping them from completing the ceremony, now that they have the bracelet."

            "I can't go," KT argues. "My great-grandpa—"

            "Look, KT," I cut in, "I get it. Your grandfather said all of this stuff. You want to help. But trust me, from one descendant to another, the only way we can stop them is if we get you out of town before the eclipse so they can't get you."

            "What about you? You're a descendant, too—why isn't anyone asking you to leave?"

            "Because honestly," I state, "I think Victor and Sweet might know better than to screw with me at this point, given, you know, everything. I'm not afraid of them—"

            "Well, neither am I—"

            "But we're afraid for you," I inform her. KT lowers her gaze. I sigh lightly, shaking my head. "KT, you're new here, so you haven't seen half of what we have. You can't be in that kind of danger. We won't let you. I won't let you. It's just for a few days. After the eclipse is over and they fail, you'll come back, and everything will be fine. I promise."

            KT looks at me. She bites the inside of her cheek and agrees quietly, "Okay. Only thing, how do we convince school to let me go?"

            I glance at Patricia, who gives me a shrug, before back to KT. "You feeling homesick?"

            After getting our story straight in that room, Patricia went to find Trudy to inform her that KT's been wailing in her sleep for the puppy she left at home. Trudy then took KT to the school to convince Sweet to let her out of school for a few days. One problem down, one day to go. I went upstairs to change out of my uniform into jeans and a t-shirt, and then I saw Jerome trying to sneak a look at Joy's project while inquiring if Atticus Monroe has called her anything other than her name in the living room. I managed to hear Joy smack him on the head with her notebook and remark that yeah, Atticus has called her Jamie twice since they were paired together on this eclipse project. That kid really has a problem with names, doesn't here? After that, I go back into our Sibuna room, sitting next to Fabian on his bed.