chapter forty-six. house of drawings

☾ ☽

☾ ☽

            It's halfway through class and neither of our classmates have returned yet. I have, however, got myself finished with the sarcophagus, and now I just need to paint everything. I decided to have the flowers in my vase be native to Egypt—jasmines, chrysanthemums, nymphaea lotus. The colors of the petals are gonna be a sharp contrast from the more neutral, sandy colors of the sarcophagus and the background, which is supposed to imitate the Valley of the Kings, where King Tut's tomb is located as well as so many other pharaohs' tombs. I figured I'd stick with the whole ancient Egypt theme we've had going on in this house for the past three years.

            "Anyone know where KT and Eddie have gone to?" Denby questions, checking her watch for the third time in ten minutes. "Is KT growing the apple tree herself? Fabian?"

            "Hm?" Fabian looks up from where he's focused on his easel. Yeah, he's not that interested in art, he's so got a book. Typical Rutter. "Oh, um, I don't know, Miss, but I do know she needs a certain shade of red."

            Denby doubts it, obviously, but looks over to me next. "Ashley, where's your cousin?"

            "Honestly," I say, focusing back on my canvas. "wouldn't be surprised if he's actually climbed up a tree and chosen the tallest leaf. Also, the only time I've ever cared to know where he is is to make sure he's not in the same country as me."

            "All right..."

            I continue working, but something catches my eye. It's Alfie next to me and Joy next to him, and neither of them are painting. They're both... scribbling. I'd scold them both if I didn't notice how alarmed they both look. "Alfie? Joy?"

            "Ashley, help me," Alfie says, eyes wide. Two of the descendants. I look across to Patricia and Jerome, both of who look like they're doing the exact same thing. Fabian looks just as concerned as I do as our eyes meet. Oh, no. I set down my paintbrush and step over to Alfie, grabbing his hand to try and pull his arm away, but he won't budge. "Ash. Ashley, help—"

            "I'm try—" But all of a sudden, Alfie and Joy's hands both stop. All that's left is their scribbles on their sketchbooks. Something's going on with the descended—first chanting and now this?

            "Ashley," Joy says slowly, "you better tell us what's going on right now."

            "Trust me," I say, glancing between them and the three across the room, "I would if I knew. You guys... drew almost exactly the same thing. How's that possible?"

            "Excuse me, guys," Jerome's voice says, "what just happened here?"

            "It's witchcraft," Alfie states.

            "Give me these," I say quickly, snatching both scribble drawings from Alfie and Joy. I quickly fold them and stuff them into my bag, hoping to get them in before Denby notices something is up, but she hears Fabian telling them to give him theirs before Denby sees.