chapter fifty-six. house of aftermath

☾ ☽

☾ ☽

            "You punched him?"

            I glance toward Jerome as he closes his bedroom door shut, holding an ice pack for my injured hand. Nodding reluctantly, I confirm, "Yeah. I punched him."

            When I got back to the house, Jerome was the first person I ran into, and I mean literally. He could tell something was wrong and I ended up breaking my no-acknowledging-for-a-day rule and telling him everything—how we didn't actually stop the ceremony, that Robert Frobisher-Smythe is awake and evil, and that his ancestor who was on the expedition is trying to send messages through him (along with the other three descendants). I told him everything Frobisher said to me and what I did. It all just came out and I just know that it's another thing Sibuna's gonna kill me for. They're going to have to resurrect me after finding out I went to the gatehouse alone to kill me again for telling Jerome.

            Jerome sits next to me on his bed, setting the ice pack on my hand. "You punched Robert Frobisher-Smythe in the face and told him it was for Nina?"

            "Yep," I confirm again, sighing. "I already texted her and Amber both and told them not to listen to anyone who calls to tell them we're hurt and they're needed here unless it's me. I was afraid he might use one of them to get to us. And... let's be real, after everything he put us through last year and the year before, he deserved to be punched."

            He nods slowly. "That is true," he agrees. "And I'm glad you finally got a chance to do it." I keep the ice pack on my hand as I lie down vertically on his bed, my head on his pillow. Jerome looks at me and shakes his head slightly, pushing me to the edge closer to the wall before lying down, too. "You're not okay."

            "Not even close," I confirm. He takes my left hand—the one I didn't just punch someone with—and squeezes it before bringing it to his mouth, kissing the back of it. "Do you think he was telling the truth? About... about Michael?"

            Jerome pauses, and then he sighs. "I don't know. But you said Lily barely mentioned him in her diary. Maybe this is why." I bite the inside of my cheek, nodding. "I'm sorry."

            "Don't apol—"

            "I'm saying I'm sorry because I feel bad for you," he interrupts. "So just let me say I'm sorry without you telling me not to apologize because it's not my fault."

            I turn my head to look at him, swallowing as he squeezes my hand again. "Sorry. I'm just used to it, I guess. With other people, anyway. With you apologizing, it usually is your fault." Jerome chuckles lightly, but the semi-light nature of it doesn't last long, as I add quietly, "So, not only am I the granddaughter of tomb robbers, I'm also the granddaughter of an abuser."

            "It's not you."

            "I know. It's just... I finally got used to the idea that I'm a descendant of thieves but this so much worse."