chapter fifty-four. house of brick

☾ ☽

☾ ☽

"It's just—did you see how he was staring at her?"

I sigh deeply, closing my locker shut as I turn to Patricia. The green-eyed monster's definitely back; she's been going on for five minutes about Eddie finding Mara's lawyer attractive. It's still not a good look on her, considering how happy she was when he kissed her yesterday. "Patricia, it's literally nothing."

"Oh, so you'd be okay if Jerome did it?" Patricia questions.

"Well, I wouldn't be ranting to my best friend about it," I retort. "Look, Eddie's only got eyes for you. Not to mention that this lawyer's gonna be gone by the end of the day when they finish out whatever Mara's inherited. So just... put the green-eyed monster back in its cage and stop giving it vitamin c."

"Well... what about all the other ones?"

"What other ones? What are you talking about?"

Before Patricia gets a chance to elaborate what she meant by 'the other ones,' Joy comes over and bangs the back of her head against the lockers twice, informing us, "Atticus just asked me out on a date. Can you believe that? Asking out his ex-girlfriend's best friend."

"What'd you say?" Patricia asks.

"I said I'd have to ask Mara. I just wanted to get away from him. She's in with her lawyer right now, yeah?"

"You're actually going to ask her what you should do?" I say. Joy shrugs. "She gave up on him, remember? You don't have to act like you're into him anymore. Your choice on what you say to him."

Joy tilts her head and pushes herself off the lockers. "You're right." She looks down the hallway, where Atticus himself is talking to some friends. "I've got an idea. Watch this, it'll be good." Patricia and I share a look as we watch Joy walk back down the hallway, flipping her hair flirtatiously as she greets him. I can hear her from here. "Hey, Atticus, I've been thinking about that date you asked me on."

Atticus smirks and glances at his friends, who are watching this go down with crossed arms and raised eyebrows. "You got a yes for me?"

"Oh, no, you've got the exact opposite of a yes," Joy responds sharply. "So let me break this down for you. I'm Mara's best friend. I'm Willow's roommate. What makes you think I would actually go on a date with you, who should've been expelled the first week you were at this school?" Atticus now looks totally freaked out and embarrassed, and it's definitely a fun sight. "I don't know if you know this, but us in Anubis House, we don't like cheaters. Three of our girls have been cheated on by boys just like you—actually, you were that boy for two of them—who think they can get away with it because of the charms and looks they think they have. So, no, I will not be going on a date with you. But I will make sure you don't ever get a date at this school again. Don't you dare come near Mara or Willow or anyone in Anubis House to plead your case because trust me, you will regret it."