chapter fifty-nine. house of moonlighting

☾ ☽

☾ ☽

            #WEAREANUBIS! Tell him I'm proud of him, was Nina's response to the picture of Fabian I sent her and Amber in the group chat. Amber's response, after being shocked we actually won, was, Why is he dressed like that? I did send it to Mick as well (and noticed at the same time that I haven't texted him since he nearly got bit by a snake and asked me why Australia's trying to kill him and that was before school came back) but he hasn't responded, probably because it's, like, 2AM down under.

            We let Fabian stop for ten minutes at the boys' changing room to change out of the mascot costume and we also kind of lost Alfie in the midst of Anubis' celebrations (but we gained Patricia instead), but after that, the four of us made our way to Anubis House. Victor's in his office, making no noise and pretending like he doesn't exist. We went straight to Fabian and Eddie's room, where KT last told us she was.

            Except, she wasn't there.

            The blueprints were missing from Fabian's drawer and KT's phone was laying on his bed, my text messages to her showing on the screen. When we realized that she's missing, we split up to look around the house. Patricia and I took the upstairs, poking our heads into my room and KT's as well as the bathroom, but she's not up there either. I'm getting really worried.

            "She's not upstairs," I inform Fabian and Eddie as we go back downstairs. "And she left her phone in Fabian's room."

            Patricia looks over the railing, pointing at the tiled floor. "Hey, look."

            I lean over, spotting what she found—KT's key, lying right in front of the cellar door. KT doesn't never lets go of that key. If it's there, and she isn't... "KT's key to the crypt," Eddie says, picking it up. "Should we be worried?"

            Before any of us can respond to his question (with a 'yeah, we should be worried'), chants of, "Anubis! Anubis! Anubis! Anubis! Anubis!" come from outside and inside when the rest of the house, including Alfie, piles in.

            Victor shouts, half-hanging out the window of his office that looks over the entrance hall, "Would you keep that racket down?!"

            "But Victor," Joy says, "we won."

            "I don't care. Take it into the living room."

            I grab Alfie's arm, stopping him from following everyone into the living room. I take the foam finger from him, questioning, "Where've you been? Sibuna emergency here."

            "What?" Alfie asks, lowering his voice so Victor doesn't hear. "What happened?"

            "We can't find KT," Eddie tells him.

            "She's probably in the cellar," Alfie reasons, "and just didn't want to come up 'cause everyone's here."

            "No, we checked," Eddie denies the theory, handing me Nina's locket and my charm back. "She's not there."