Chapter two

August 18/2020

By: Denisha~

               Teagan was doing her normal routine and had just walked into the coffee shop where she was greeted by Ace. M.J was standing beside him with a small smile. "Say it to Tommie." M.J whispered but Teagan heard it.

        "G-Good evening, what can I ge-."

       M.J. cut him off. "Welcome to M.J's Barista." She whispered.

              "Welcome t-to M.J's Barista." Teagan thought he sounded cute. He was stuttering and sweating. She found his awkwardness cute, not like she would admit it.

             "Good evening Ace."

              "What can I get you today?" Ace asked. M.J. clapped her hands in excitement. She looked so proud. Teagan saw Ace roll his eyes at her best friend's gestures.

            "Can I get a large coffee with cream and 4 sugars, also a chocolate muffin please."

              Ace nodded about to walk away but M.J stopped him and gave him a look.

            "Thank you for ordering here today." He said quietly and walked to the back.

              "He is adorable." Teagan whispered to herself but since M.J had gotten closer to her she could hear her. Teagan hated how cute she thought he was and did not want him to come in and ruin what she had going on.

           "I knew it!" M.J lowly shouted trying not to bother people in her shop.

           "On a more serious note... Guess who moved back to town." Teagan said seriously.

              M.J  looked over at Teagan. She hoped that she wasn't talking about him. "Who?"  She asked her whole mood changing.

                      "...Kaden."

             Teagan looked at M.J. She knew that M.J was emotional. She wasn't afraid to show her feelings. She just wanted to make sure that M.J didn't brake down at her work place. They haven't talked about it in 7 years. M.J looked as if she was about to cry.

          M.J sighed and said, "Just don't tell Ace."

         "But.." Teagan was cut off by Ace.

        "Don't tell Ace what?" Ace asked as placed down Teagan's order.

        "Nothing." M.J said as she got up and fixed her shirt.

            Ace looked over at Teagan. "Don't tell me what?" He asked his voice sounding somewhat different but not harsh. Teagan looked anywhere but Ace, it just so happened that she got a phone call from her boss.

          While Teagan took that phone call Ace and his sister talked. "Why do you look so sad?"

          "I'm not sad big bro! I'm happy." Ace shook his head knowing that she was lying. He came up with an idea but before he could voice it Teagan came back.

             "What was that about?" M.J asked Teagan.

             "My boss asked me to come back in, in 2 hours." Teagan said shrugging. She looked over at Ace noticing what he had on and how he looked today. His curly hair was all over his head, his green eyes glowing, he had on a black shirt with the shop's logo on it, black ripped jeans, and black Dr.Martens on. 'Damn' she thought in her but what she didn't know is that she said it out loud.

       M.J laughed and just then did she realized what she did. She saw that Ace had a small smirk on his face as he walked away.

      "Shouldn't you be working?" Teagan asked feeling embarrassed that she said that loud.

       "Whatever babe. We will talk about that subject later." M.J said before she went to the back.

         About 20 minutes later she felt someone sit in the chair in front of her. She looked up from her book to see Ace eating a BLT. "Yes?" Teagan asked as she watched him eat.

         "What's up?" He asked looking up from his sandwich and saw that she was watching him. She shrugged her shoulders.

          "Do you want some?" He asked.

        "Um n-no I'm good." She looked at him then went back to reading her book. She had a little bit under an hour until she had to leave.

   "What are you reading?" He asked his voice sounding uninterested but his face wasn't.

    "A book called, 'The Long Way Down.'" She answered without looking up.

        "Who is it by." He asked and she wondered why he was asking a lot of  questions.

         "Jason Reynolds" She said but right after she got a text from M.J. M.J teased her about her brother sitting down and talking to her. She rolled her eyes playful at the text.

      "Sooo... why was my sister crying earlier?" Ace asked and Teagan whole mood changed. She thought that he actually wanted to talk to her. She was a little disappointed but she didn't say anything.

      "Ask her." She simply replied.

        She looked at the time to see she had to be at work in 30 minutes. It took her 15 minutes to get to her job so she calmly got up politely excused herself from the table grabbing her coffee. "You have a nice day." She said and walked out the door. On the way to work she cursed her self for being so stupid.   

              'Of course he didn't want to talk to me, he just wanted answers to his questions. I mean it's not like I want him to talk to me, I don't need him.' She thought to herself as she made it into her job's parking lot. She walked into the building and clocked in for the second time today. She walked to the room where the computers were acting up and tried to see what the problem was.

                        Meanwhile at the shop M.J was about to be scolding Ace.

             "Why did Tommie just leave without saying anything to me?" She asked crossing her arms as they were closing the shop up. They closed up early on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Sundays.

                "I don't know." He spoke truthfully. He really didn't know why she was being so passive aggressive towards him. He just thought that if he tried to get to know her that she would tell him what the problem was early. He realized what happened. "I uh think she thought that I was using her."

                M.J slowly looked at him. "What do you mean?" She asked and he told her what happened. If looks could kill he would be long gone. She sighed.

           "You will call her and apologize when she gets off work." M.J demanded.

            "I don't have her number." He said quietly.

                      M.J pulled out her phone and gave him Teagan's number. "I don't know what time she gets off." He said finding another excuse. Truth be told, he was a little nervous to talk to her without a lot of people around. Even if it was on the phone.

              "Well you better guess."

              "Fine." He said and saved her name in his phone as Teagan with a black heart emoji.