xii.

Together
Ichigo

We were running through the worlds spookiest tunnel, which was supposed to lead us to the Soul Society. There, I would defeat anyone who gets in the way of rescuing Rukia. Urahara's silent friend tagged along. I wasn't sure if it was his decision, though it's definitely nice to have someone as powerful as her on our side.

Her and Yoruichi were talking at the back of the group. I couldn't hear much of what they were saying, but one phrase came up often, "the Shiba Clan". I wasn't sure what that meant or who they were, but maybe they would be helping us out.

As we hurriedly escaped the evil tunnel, we found ourselves in the outskirts of a run-down looking town.

"Welcome to the Rukon districts" the girl sighed. She was running her fingers down a wooden beam of a building near by.

"Have you been here before?" Uryu asked her. The two of them had grown oddly close ever since she told us she would be coming along with us. I wonder if it's because she's the strongest of all of us.

"I grew up nearby. I used to sneak out of my home and play with the children here in the districts." I couldn't see much of her expression past her hood, but I could tell in her voice that such memories were saddening to her.

"Over there is one of the gates to the Seireitei, where the Thirteen Court Guard Squads lie" Yoruichi stated. The walls her hundreds of meters high and the building deep into the Seireitei seemed like they were miles away. I walked up to the gate, figuring we could just go right inside since it seemed unguarded. I'll admit, it wasn't my brightest choice.

A giant door fell from the sky accompanied by the largest Soul Reaper I've ever seen.

"That's Jidanbō Ikkanzaka! He's one of the strongest gatekeepers of the Seireitei" Yoruichi exclaimed. Jidanbō looked down on us with two giant axes in his hands. I noticed his attention was caught on Kisuke's friend.

"M-Madam Shiba. It can't possibly be you" he stuttered. The girl stared at him shocked, which mimicked out expression at what he had said.

"Shiba?" I questioned. Was she a part of this Shiba Clan they were talking about earlier?

The girl stepped forward and I watched as she slipped the hood of her Shihakusho off of her head to reveal long black hair and glistening gold eyes.

"My name is Gaia Shiba. Current Head of the Shiba Clan, and I demand entry for myself and my friends!"