xviii.

Sanctuary
Jushiro Ukitake

I remember looking back to the months before Gaia had disappeared. Miyako Shiba was training her for her upcoming lieutenants exam. Gaia desperately wanted to become stronger and move up through the ranks. She took Miyako's death hard, and it seemingly made her give up on her dreams.

I had gone to her quarters to confront her one night, and to encourage her not to give up on her exam. Gaia refused to move up a rank after Miyako's passing.

"I could never replace her" she had told me. I had thought back to when Miyako approached me about Gaia long before that. She had come to me in my office crying, telling me to promise to protect her sister-in-law no matter the cost. Gaia was precious to her, and she always wanted to see her succeed.

Looking at her now, after all these years filled me with immense joy. I always questioned the circumstances of her death preluding Captain Kisuke Urahara's banishment, though after time passed I simply accepted it.

"Gaia, how come you have come back after all this time?" I asked. Rangiku and my 3rd seats had returned to their posts, and I sat in my office with her drinking some tea for energy. She glanced down at her cup with a saddened expression.

"If I am to be honest, I'm here to help rescue Rukia Kuchiki" she stated. I could tell that wasn't the whole truth, but I would let her tell me the rest when she was comfortable.

"We have much to talk about old friend" I smiled. She nodded a sympathetic grin making its way onto her face.

I spent most of the afternoon catching up with her. She spoke of her shelter with Urahara and Tessai in the World of the Living, as well as the Ryoka who accompanied her here. I was most shocked to hear of Ichigo Kurosaki, the son of Isshin Shiba, though I promised Gaia to never speak of the relation to anyone.

"You know, before you had left I remember how intensely you trained to be my lieutenant" I laughed. She smiled at the thought, a fond memory for her.

"I studied and trained for days, though you always scolded me for overthinking it too much." She sighed. Gaia was intense as my 5th seat. She always pushed herself to be more.

"How would you like to be my lieutenant now?" I asked. I had always left the position open following the passing of Kaien Shiba. I felt that I would encounter the right person eventually. Gaia stared at me shocked and unable to speak. I placed the lieutenants arm band on the desk in front of me.

"You know, Kaien and Miyako had always spoken highly of you, and I hold a special place in my heart for the members of the Shiba Clan." I continued. Gaia traced her fingers over the snowdrop insignia.

"I'm an enemy of the Soul Society though. How could Head-Captain Yamamoto ever come to peace with having me as a ranking member again?" She questioned.

I slipped a paper out of my drawer and placed it in front of her. It was an executive order from Central 46 following the discovery of the Hollowification of the Captains and Lieutenants years ago.

"Central 46 had released this to the entire Soul Society not long after Kisuke Urahara and everyone was banished. It forbid the execution of Hollowified Soul Reapers, as well as forbid the persecution of them." I read. Central 46 believed that though the experimentation was inhumane and wrong, Hollowified Soul Reapers were a vital asset to the Soul Society. They banished those with Kisuke Urahara, and any that were to be discovered afterwards would be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

"Furthermore, a Captain has the right to select their own Lieutenant, and old man Yama has no say in who I chose" I smiled. Gia nodded and accepted the position hesitantly at first.

I would hide her here in the safety of Squad 13, and protect her to keep my promise to Miyako.