xvii.

Shelter
Gaia

I sat in a dark corner of Gin's office trying to wrap my hear around everything that was happening. Ichigo and his friends would surely find another way into the Seireitei, but I needed to find somewhere to go where I wouldn't draw attention.

The sound of the door sliding open snapped me out of my concentration.

"I really didn't believe him when he said you were alive." She sighed. Rangiku Matsumoto stood in the entrance with a disappointed glare.

"Long time no see Matsumoto" I smiled standing from where I sat. Her disappointment quickly washed away with joy as she wrapped her arms tightly around me. Rangiku was Isshin's lieutenant while he was the Captain of Squad 10, so naturally she and I were very close.

"It took me a long time to think anyone could have killed you. Captain Hitsugaya told me I was crazy for thinking otherwise!" She yelled. Toshiro was a stubborn child when I knew him as the 3rd seat of Squad 10. He surely seems to have matured into a grouchy young man.

"Gin told you I was here?" I asked. Her face grew calmer and almost worried before nodding.

"I know a place where you can lay low for a while" she stated handing me a new uniform. It was a standard issue shihakusho with sleeves long enough to cover my braces.

"This should keep you from standing out too much until we get there." She smiled. I nodded and quickly changed before following her outside the barracks. When we arrived I wasn't quite sure why she thought I would be safe there.

Standing in front of us was a set of Soul Reapers with skeptical expressions.

"Why should I be the one to get involved?" One retorted. I recognized our surroundings as Squad 13. Kaien's wife Miyako was once the 3rd seat of this squadron, and my previous station as well. Before my run-in with Aizen, and after my stay at the Omnitsukaido, I became the 5th seat of Squad 13.

"She's Miyako's family. Just tell Captain Ukitake I need to speak with him." Rangiku pressed. The two stormed off as we waited patiently at the gate. Not long after there was a commotion and footsteps rushing toward us. The gate opened and a worried face on the Captain was the first thing I saw.

"Gaia! You've returned!" He exclaimed wrapping his arms around me. I was worried that Ukitake would scold me, or send me to Head-Captain Yamamoto.

"Captain Ukitake, you've looked better." I commented. He seemed ill, though his health back then was never commendable either.

"As have you my dear" he smiled guiding me into the barracks.